Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does evaporation release ions into the air?
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 20:04
Does evaporation release ions into the air?

Does slow evaporation, or even assisted evaporation (sun, low heat source, hot water bath, but NOT boiling), releases ions into the air?

I frequently slow evaporate (warm sunny room) to dry/crystallize salts like nickel and hexavalent chromium. Am I poisoning myself slowly?

According to nilered (11:15 mins) during the evaporation of acetone from his denatonium benzoate solution, he can taste the bitterness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOw_I42eUpM
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 21:05

I think that'
technically speaking, some dissolved salts will be carried by evaporating solvents,
partly by weak bonding/mechanical means,
and partly because all salts have some vapour pressure,

but it is negligible for non-boiling situations so I doubt that you are poisoning anyone.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 02:17

When bubbles are formed, aerosol is created which carries some ions with it. I've witnessed this multiple times, at most simple way by noticing a smell of impurities in a distillate.

Slow evaporation without bubbling will generally emit extremely little ions. This is how ultra-pure reagents are distilled, anyway.
Fluorite
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 03:58

I love these kinds of questions :)
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2021 at 11:02

For example when i add sodium carbonate in selenous acid solution and when dioxide is generated it has smell. The smell is not pungent, though unpleasant. I can not describe the smell accurately but it feels different when you inhale. Maybe ions are to blame and therefore do not look like any other smell and that is what causes such a feeling

A narrow road cannot keep back Death, nor a rocky one; by him all are levelled, weak and strong-hearted; in the end the earth unites in one place youth and greybeard. Better a glorious death than shameful life!
—The Knight in the Panther's Skin
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2021 at 11:25

Effervescence indeed carries over ions, as it's not gas that comes over, but aerosol particles, which can carry over anything that a liquid can, as far as I'd believe. Make lead acetate from lead carbonate, inhale lead, or boil it down, inhale lead. Doing it in closed setup or still or evaporating it is the safe method.

They make ultra-pure reagents by sub-boiling point evaporation, likely in molecular distillation with a system that moves the input liquid and output condensate very close to each other to make the transfer rate reasonable, as evaporation would be prohibitively slow in passive mode.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2021 at 11:43

I think it is possible. Because there is not much distance between the person and the flask.There will usually be some research or this process is mentioned in some books.

[Edited on 10-2-2021 by vano]

A narrow road cannot keep back Death, nor a rocky one; by him all are levelled, weak and strong-hearted; in the end the earth unites in one place youth and greybeard. Better a glorious death than shameful life!
—The Knight in the Panther's Skin

Go To Top