Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Identification of glassware
tmb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 5-3-2011 at 19:07
Identification of glassware

Hi. Can someone please help me with identifying the use for these pieces of glassware:

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/28314769.jpg/

http://img846.imageshack.us/i/12527415.jpg/

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/17647675.jpg/

The first item looks like an air condenser, with a scintered glass filter appended towards the bottom - as shown in the second picture.

For the second item; I have no idea. I don't own this item so unfortunately I cannot give any more details about its construction.

I am particularly interested in the first item, as I have recently purchased it (amongst other things; hoping that it might be of some use). My only thought is that it may be a chromatography column; with a vacuum source being needed to pull a solvent through the filter.

I would kindly appreciate any opinions that you would care to share.

Many thanks.

[Edited on 6-3-2011 by tmb]
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 19:37

The first item is a chromatography column.

The second item is a fixed-volume dispenser. The open tube goes through a cork into a reservoir bottle. The whole assembly is tilted so that liquid runs into and fills the bulb end. The assembly is righted so that excess liquid returns to the reservoir bottle. And then it is tilted in the opposite direction so that the fixed volume of liquid in the bulb flows out the spout.
tmb
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 19:46

Thanks for your help. I take-it you've used one of these before? Are they specifically-designed to be used with a vacuum, or will a normal flash-chromatography pump provide enough force?

Thanks for the information on the second item too.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-3-2011 at 21:58

Hard to tell from a photo, but that frit doesn't look too fine. Gravity might be enough. Flash pump or vac would also work. Then again, flow rates will be highly dependent on the packing and mobile phase viscosity.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 11:40

That's either for chromatography or I believe another possibility is that it is a fractionating column, and the sinter is there to hold the packing (glass beads / ceramic rings etc); QuickFit sell little glass spirals that go in the ends of their plain columns for this purpose.

The last one is a repeating pipette. It goes on the top of a bottle. You tip the bottle back to charge the bulb up, stand it up to drain the excess back to the bottle, tip it forward to dispense a set volume.

Click here for some amusing glassware

[Edited on 6-3-2011 by peach]

Go To Top