Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Man unwittingly buys TANK.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 30-3-2021 at 23:20
Man unwittingly buys TANK.

I have skillfully avoided overhead stirrers, for most of a lifetime.
But, it is time.

Still, I know something about desirable characteristics, like high torque, low RPM, brushless (and thereby explosion proof) motor.

So, when a used Yamato overhead, was offered to me at a great price. I jumped on it.

Less than a hundred bucks, including shipping. Whoo Hoo!

It arrived promptly too. Nice condition. Problem?

It is big and heavy. Semi industrial, big and heavy. I mean, big and heavy, and it will require a special stand to support it.

A special stand, I might have to build.

Anybody else have such a stirrer? How do you deal?

https://spwindustrial.com/yamato-lab-stirrer-lr400c-100-1200...

Actually, I bought a model B... RPM 15-600

[Edited on 31-3-2021 by zed]

[Edited on 31-3-2021 by zed]
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 11:07

Looking at it, I was thinking that maybe making a tripod with a hole in the bottom would support it. How much does it weight?

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 15:58

I would be modifying a TV wall mount: one of those ones that swings out to angle the TV. Then you can attach it to the wall and swing it out of the way when not in use.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 16:08

The stirring motor weighs 10LBs US... Approximately 4540 Grams, and it is at the end of a fairly long rod, meaning leverage is not my friend. So, it has plenty of torque, and plenty of reach, and all of the right attributes, in terms of quality and ruggedness. But, it is a behemoth.

Whatever supports it, is going to need a strong framework, or a very heavy base...or both.

I kinda liked the looks of this air model stirrer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pneumatic-Paint-Mixer-Air-Agitator-...

Maybe next time. Ummm. Actually, if the air-stirrer comes with that stand.... That stand ain't bad.

But, the whole unit might be smallish. There is no real key, to give you a sense of perspective. It could be a foot tall, or 3 feet tall. Can't tell.

[Edited on 2-4-2021 by zed]

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 23:44

It appears like a motor that is usually installed on top of a reactor vessel, so weight doesn't matter that much.

I have machined my own mounts for my lab clamps and also overheads from delrin stock. I use 16mm vertical rod to my fume hood, and the overhead frame is attached to another 16mm rod. The stock is 60mm bar milled and drilled to adapt these at 90 angle. I tested the stands by supporting my own weight with them, so few kg motors wouldn't be an issue.

My overhead is eBay bought and it has been surprisingly good for the almost ridiculous price. Only time it has stalled was with very low rpm when there were solid chunks of undissolved stuff in the solution that accumulated to the thermowell probe. Stirring 20L bucket of stuff with it offers no resistance to it. Cost 70€ w/ shipping.

I also have used 500W hand mixer with turned adapter to ptfe paddle. Having a worm gear and 500W it has *too* much torque, meaning that something will break if the mixer stalls. It works perfect, but it's a bit noisy.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 03:28

Ummm. Oh, this baby ain't gonna float around, and adjust itself. Too big and heavy. And, it isn't going to stall. No... If push comes to shove, it will break the glassware. Oh, well. Next stop.... Air motor!

In the meantime, that overhead frame you mentioned; I might have to go that way.
I have noted that more modern versions of my stirrer, have gone to a more "squat" or compact profile. Better engineering.
Also about half the weight of my unit.

https://megadepot.com/product/yamato-lt-500b-lab-stirrer?for...

Go To Top