Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recrystallization of racemic phenylalanine, some observations and questions
Polysialate
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 22:41
Recrystallization of racemic phenylalanine, some observations and questions

I found some very old racemic phenylalanine among some old nutritional supplements. At least I think it was racemic phenylalanine; the label had worn off so I'm just going by vague recollection, appearance, smell, and it having water solubility consistent with phenylalanine. Rather than just throwing it out and buying some new, I thought I'd try to recrystallize it.

The first thing I found is that it forms a polyhydrate, such that leaving an 85°C saturated solution (~7g/100mL water) to cool to 20°C overnight just results in the whole thing solidifying. The "crystals" grow as (hemi)spherical solids from nucleation points until the whole thing solidifies. It's interesting to watch, but not particularly useful, since the perfectly round shape implies an amorphous precipitate. Plus the lack of supernatant liquid to filter off means all impurities are still present in the solid.

I found a somewhat recent paper about crystallization of L-phenylalanine:

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4352/10/2/60/htm

It confirms that L-phenylalanine forms a hydrate, though the only hydrate it describes is a crystalline monohydrate (confirmed by X-ray diffraction). I'm guessing that since I have racemic phenylalanine, an amorphous polyhydrate solid phase is precipitating instead. Either that or I have some other other old nutritional supplement powder which I've misidentified.

Taking some ideas from that paper, I re-heated it to ~85°C and added ethanol (such that it was now ~15% ethanol). Upon cooling to room temp, the crystals that formed actually looked crystalline, albeit like tiny white sea urchins. IE, a lot of needle-like crystals growing outward from each nucleation point. This seems to be a viable means of purifying racemic phenylalanine.

Some questions: if anyone here has recrystallized racemic phenylalanine, does this match your experience? On a more theoretical note, are the individual "growths" of crystals enantiomerically resolved? Or does racemic phenylalanine crystallize racemically?
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 1-4-2021 at 00:06

Ummm. I would reflux it all with acetophenone. Soon enough you will know what it is. And your unknown, if it is Phenylalanine... Will be converted to Phenethylamine.

Confusing Zwitterions and Racemic mixtures.... Gone!
Polysialate
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2021 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Ummm. I would reflux it all with acetophenone. Soon enough you will know what it is. And your unknown, if it is Phenylalanine... Will be converted to Phenethylamine.

Confusing Zwitterions and Racemic mixtures.... Gone!

Alternatively, just adding a bit of bleach should result in Strecker Degradation to phenylacetaldehyde, which has a very potent and characteristic smell:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=66331

Will update if I pick some up.
Polysialate
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2021 at 10:42

I found something interesting in my attempts at recrystallization which might generalize to other compounds. By briefly super-cooling only the bottom of the container (while the bulk of the liquid was still ~80°C), I could nucleate a different crystal structure instead of the needle-like fuzzballs that I was getting before. Basically by placing it on a sheet of ice for only a few minutes, the resulting nuclei would be more regular polyhedra instead.

If over-cooled, the needle-like crystals would grow off of them, but by immediately re-heating the whole thing to ~60°C after the nucleation, then slow cooling it over 24 hours, I got much nicer, larger crystals which are easily washed and filtered.

I'm not sure if this is a different crystal structure of phenylalanine, or if the locally lower temperatures drove the precipitation of a particular hydrate which was different than the needle-like crystals I was getting before.

Go To Top