Author: Subject: A few exotic compositions
Linus1208
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  
Quote: Originally posted by Linus1208  

Magnesium and sulfur
This one is very powerful, burns very quickly and gives off a yellowish flash and a lot of smoke. I'm not sure if explodes on confinement.

Magnesium and sulfur in a 1:1 ratio is often used as a flashpowder among german amateur pyros, because both of them are easy to get here (even nitrates are heavily restricted in germany) and a few grams of it give quite a good band (doesnt even need much confinement).

If you mix it in a 6:4 ratio it reacts more violent and bright when unconfined, although even the 1:1 ratio has quite an excess of magnesium. Many people think it's also stronger if confined because of that but it's actually just a waste of magnesium.

that's the first flash powder i ever made, because both ingredients are easy to find. Magnesium is found as pencil sharpener, so i scratched it until i got enough shaving. Sulfur was sold in a store which sells "natural products" and that kind of stuff. But i still can't make it explode

Hmm do you still use pencil sharpener magnesium? And how fine and pure is your sulfur?
BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 11:28

Magnesium and sulfur
This one is very powerful, burns very quickly and gives off a yellowish flash and a lot of smoke. I'm not sure if explodes on confinement.

Magnesium and sulfur in a 1:1 ratio is often used as a flashpowder among german amateur pyros, because both of them are easy to get here (even nitrates are heavily restricted in germany) and a few grams of it give quite a good band (doesnt even need much confinement).

If you mix it in a 6:4 ratio it reacts more violent and bright when unconfined, although even the 1:1 ratio has quite an excess of magnesium. Many people think it's also stronger if confined because of that but it's actually just a waste of magnesium.

that's the first flash powder i ever made, because both ingredients are easy to find. Magnesium is found as pencil sharpener, so i scratched it until i got enough shaving. Sulfur was sold in a store which sells "natural products" and that kind of stuff. But i still can't make it explode

Hmm do you still use pencil sharpener magnesium? And how fine and pure is your sulfur?

I used them just for the first times i made this mix, but since it's very uncomfortable to scratch a little pencil sharpener with a knife to get a decent amount of powder, i bought from banggood a big magnesium rod, so whenever i need some mg powder i make it by scratching the rod with a Dremel, giving me quite fine powder in a few minute. I avoid buying mg powder because it's not very cheap, so i prefer making it by myself.

Sulfur is very fine, so much that every time i touch the bag some powder stays on my finger and if a blow it much powder is dispersed in air. It seems quite pure too, although it has the typical sulfur smell.
Linus1208
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 12:03

Magnesium and sulfur

I used them just for the first times i made this mix, but since it's very uncomfortable to scratch a little pencil sharpener with a knife to get a decent amount of powder, i bought from banggood a big magnesium rod, so whenever i need some mg powder i make it by scratching the rod with a Dremel, giving me quite fine powder in a few minute. I avoid buying mg powder because it's not very cheap, so i prefer making it by myself.

Sulfur is very fine, so much that every time i touch the bag some powder stays on my finger and if a blow it much powder is dispersed in air. It seems quite pure too, although it has the typical sulfur smell.

Maybe try slowly grinding the Mg rod very fine sand paper to make your Mg powder. Also pure sulfur actually doesn't really smell (if by smelling you mean this disgusting smell of hydrogen sulfide).
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top