Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best books on energetic materials?
math
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2021 at 15:58
Best books on energetic materials?

I am familiar with works by Fedoroff and Urbanski, however I was wondering if there are any more recent publications/compendiums that replaced them as gold standard and have safe, reliable syntheses etc?

I know that some niche materials might have just a few patents covering synthesis, however not all of them are clear, cross checked and reliable, while you'd think that a publication has been more checked, approved and trustworthy.

Thanks ;)
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 04:09

Jai_Prakash_Agrawal,_Robert_Hodgson-Organic_Chemistry_of_Explosives-Wiley(2007)

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 12:41

Depending on how much experience you have I would suggest COPAE (Chemistry of Powders and Explosives) by Tenny Davis. There are more in depth explanations and full synthesis guides, as well as a lot of practical consideration. It is quite old, so it's a little lacking in modern explosives.
Runic7
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 20:39

I would personally recommend "Chemistry of High-Energy Materials" by Thomas M. Klapötke. One of my favorites! :) Includes useful information on primary and secondary explosives, propellants, rocket fuel mixtures and pyrotechnic compositions. Another good publication on the properties and synthesis of primary explosives would be "Explosives" by Rudolf Meyer, Josef Köhler, Axel Homburg. It details the physicochemical properties, production methods, and safe applications of over 120 different explosive chemicals and compositions.

[Edited on 6-1-2021 by Runic7]
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 00:42

Runic is right. That is the best most concise book. I wish I didn’t waste so much on others. The author is a legend. The greatest expert alive today.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 06:15

Runic is right. That is the best most concise book. I wish I didn’t waste so much on others. The author is a legend. The greatest expert alive today.
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 06:18

Quote: Originally posted by Runic7  
I would personally recommend "Chemistry of High-Energy Materials" by Thomas M. Klapötke. One of my favorites! :) Includes useful information on primary and secondary explosives, propellants, rocket fuel mixtures and pyrotechnic compositions. Another good publication on the properties and synthesis of primary explosives would be "Explosives" by Rudolf Meyer, Josef Köhler, Axel Homburg. It details the physicochemical properties, production methods, and safe applications of over 120 different explosive chemicals and compositions.

[Edited on 6-1-2021 by Runic7]

Anything from Klapötke is worth having. He has published or co-authored many works and, in my opinion, is one of the true energetics geniuses of our time.

Perhaps the OP's knowledge is well beyond this point, but I am still partial to "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics: Basic Principles and Theory" by John Conkling and Chris Mocella. I'd be hard-pressed to say that there is a better introductory book for a pyrochemist. It is written as a collegiate-level textbook that perfectly balances the chemistry and the art. I reference it regularly.

Another book from a peer of Klapötke is "High Explosives, Propellants, and Pyrotechnics" by Ernst-Christian Koch. All three of these texts are a must for any serious pyrochemist!
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 11:16

When is our resident doctor LL going to write a book? Would be epic
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 11:18

Urbanski obviously!

Go To Top