Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Local Regulations
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 13-3-2011 at 15:22
Local Regulations

Do you live somewhere where there is local regulations prohibiting you from buying glassware or anything? Explain.

I live in Michigan. I don't think there are any dumb laws here- exept fireworks and firecrackers are illegal. Doesn't stop me from making fireworks up north though.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 12:20

I doubt a place exists that prohibits glassware, or at least I've never heard of such a land. Many nations ban certain chemicals and substances, however.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 12:24

Clearly you have never been to Texas if you believe that. Glassware is felony prison time in Texas.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 12:31

Yee ha!
Easier for a lunatic to buy a semi automatic rifle than a sane man to buy a Vigreux column in Texas! :D
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 15:02

Regulations only apply if you get caught.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 15:57

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  

isnt the story that some intelligen senator in the 80's or 90's thought it would be intelligent to ban certain glassware to help reduce the production of meth. /facepalm corrupt government where all of our politician's ego surpassed their competence :mad:
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 16:06

Lol, If you own a meth lab you shouldn't invest in glassware anyways cuz it will all be taken away WHEN you get caught.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 16:13

haha they gave that faggot that banned glassware a nobel prize too
"An early moment of triumph occurred in 1994, when Texas State Senator Bob Glasgow was awarded the Ig Nobel Chemistry Prize
for sponsoring the 1989 drug control law which make it illegal to purchase beakers, flasks, test tubes, or other laboratory glassware without a permit."

where is this world coming to
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 16:15

the rest of the article pretty interesting
"A report in the June 2006 issue of Wired magazine explores some of the campaign’s recent achievements:
more than 30 states have passed laws to restrict sales of chemicals and lab equipment associated with meth production, which has resulted in a decline in domestic meth labs, but makes things daunting for an amateur chemist shopping for supplies. It is illegal in Texas, for example, to buy such basic labware as Erlenmeyer flasks or three-necked flasks without first registering with the states Department of Public Safety to declare that they will not be used to make drugs. Among the chemicals the Portland, Oregon, police department lists online as commonly associated with meth labs are such scientifically useful compounds as liquid iodine, isopropyl alcohol, sulfuric acid, and hydrogen peroxide, along with chemistry glassware and pH strips. Similar lists appear on hundreds of Web sites.
To criminalize the necessary materials of discovery is one of the worst things you can do in a free society, says Shawn Carlson, a 1999 MacArthur fellow and founder of the Society for Amateur Scientists. The Mr. Coffee machine that every Texas legislator has near his desk has three violations of the law built into it: a filter funnel, a Pyrex beaker, and a heating element. The laws against meth should be the deterrent to making it not criminalizing activities that train young people to appreciate science.?"
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 16:21

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  

I am aware of the relevant rules and regulations where I operate and I work within them.
I have friendly relations with Environmental Health, Customs and Excise and the police.
My scale of operation means that I have to be legal.
I am making beer on a 50 litre scale and planning to move to a 100 litre pilot plant. I cannot hide that away!

Go To Top