Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting lead from glass leaching technique observed
KalleMP
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 02:49
Interesting lead from glass leaching technique observed

I watched an interesting/cryptic youtube video on leaching lead from leaded CRT glass. The commercial need for this is becoming obsolete but it may have something to teach us. I am not actively involved in refining or metal recovery but like to follow topics from my computer chair. The problem here is that the process was patent pending so not disclosed at the time but may or may not be public knowledge now. It uses 'safe' chemicals and recovers the lead and leached glass after aqueous leaching with a period of sonication. I am curious if anyone can guess at the chemicals used or knows of the same or similar process or has a clue as to the patent number. It might be a way to extract precocious metals from other matrices or a way to remove lead from other places where it is not wanted.

I will be cross posting this to Science Madness/Gold Refining Forum and will place a link in a reply if anyone wants to see an the other discussion (login may be required, I don't recall).

The title and description for the 2013 video was:

Greene Lyon CRT Recycling Process Video

We have developed a green process for recycling leaded CRT glass that generates a lead compound and lead-free glass, both of which can be sold for reuse. This patent pending process leaches virtually all of the lead from CRT glass, uses readily available chemicals no more harsh than food additives, and operates at a low temperature. The leaching solution itself is recycled and reused multiple times. As a result, the process (i) generates no hazardous particle or liquid discharges, (ii) uses relatively little energy, (iii) can be readily permitted in light industrial zones, and (iii) costs just pennies per pound, which makes it less expensive than alternative disposition options and competitive with hazardous land fills. Independent lab testing has proven the effectiveness of the process, which can be adapted to recycle other materials.

[Edited on 2022-2-19 by KalleMP]
KalleMP
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 02:54

Here is the cosposted thread

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/interesting-lead-from-...
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 04:26

you may be surprised at what chemicals are approved food additives,
sulphuric and hydrochloric acid, ammonium, sodium and potassium hydroxide ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_number#E500%E2%80%93E599_(acidity_regulators,_anti-caking_agents)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur

Go To Top