Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tin based pesticides
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 14:23
Tin based pesticides

I have some Citrate and Acetate Tin solutions. Is it possible to synthesize any of the Tin based pesticides from it shown in this picture?
I'm planning to use it on my potato plantation to kill Colorado Beetle.
Would any of the tin end up in the harvested potato ?

304545758_1195536297675106_3533644259491560405_n.jpg - 66kB

[Edited on 4-9-2022 by Romix]
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 14:35

I have allergy on honey, not worried about the bees in the area...
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 15:15

If you kill all of the bees potatoes might be all you get to eat, because without them many of the fruiting plants you may intent to grow will not produce fruit without pollination.
That aside, fentin acetate and fentin hydroxide are fungicides and will not be effective on Colorado Beetle.
Azocyclotin will be somewhat effective, but no where near as good as other products you can likely get in your local hardware store.
Fenbutatin oxide will be the most effective of the bunch you have listed here and is the only one designed for organisms like your target species.
In general organo-tins are quite persistent in the environment and very bioaccumulative. They are also bad news for aquatic organisms. I wouldn't be putting them in my potato patch, but that is more because I like to promote high biological activity in my garden, less from a human health perspective.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 20:06

These organotin compounds are very harmful for the environment, and for that reason they have been banned in Europe and the US. Additionally, these are fungicides, not insecticides, so they’re completely useless to you! There are plenty of more effective and much less ecologically harmful insecticides that are readily available. Do some research and figure out what you actually need.

Edit: sorry B(a)p, I didn’t see your post because I typed mine up hours ago and forgot to hit submit until later. I realize that I essentially said the same thing as you

[Edited on 9-5-2022 by Texium]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2022 at 23:12

Different people have different problems.

I have several kilos of a fenbutatin-oxide containing pesticide (from before the ban, the bags are probably decades old) and I would like to recover the tin from them. :)
I have the feeling that metallic tin would be more useful for me. :)

Regarding the original question I think these compounds are made via organometallic reagents (direct Sn-C bonds) so your "starting materials" are prbably not good for the synthesis.

[Edited on 5-9-2022 by Pumukli]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-9-2022 at 08:49

Since C-Sn bonds are pretty unreactive, your best bet would likely be to burn the material in an oxygen-rich environment until you’re left with nothing but tin(IV) oxide that you can reduce to the metal. How to do this safely without releasing copious toxic fumes? I don’t know. Also depends on what other ingredients are in your pesticide product.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top