Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2022 at 12:28
Question about 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine

Hello, I had a jar of 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine, when I opened it it had black color and ammonia smell, what is the easiest way to make some pure 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine? just the reagent every photo which I saw on the internet had no black color.

305563337_862964094692589_3424013765226170108_n.jpg - 350kB 305187895_487703432877747_6680374237762542801_n.jpg - 316kB
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2022 at 23:14

Hi Vano, I have a small phial of this selenium reagent too and like yours it is old and now as black as coal. I don't have much c5g, so I decided to try "recovery" methods on two other compounds that I have that are similar, 2-nitro-1,4-phenylenediamine and N,N-dimethyl-1,4-phenylenediamine (4-amino-dimethylaniline). Both are also as black as coal and now resemble charcoal. They are all very old >50 years!!

So far I have had no success with the 2-nitro compound but I have had fair success with the dimethyl-phenylenediamine. I found that if I dissolve it in dilute HCl and treat it hot with a little sodium metabisulphite solid and then Zn dust until the later dissolves with the liberation of hydrogen. The dark violet solution is then treated with charcoal and acid washed kieselguhr and filtered. If the solution is strong enough or excess conc HCl is added the hydrochloride crystallises out as light purple blades. which are fairly pure but discoloured still. I have found that it is better to ppt the free base directly, filter, wash with water until acid free and then dissolve in acetic acid/acetic anhydride mixture and convert to the 4-dimethylamino-acetanilide which is stable and can be recrystallised until it is pure white from any simple alcohol. Note that when the acetylating mixture is diluted there is no acetanilide ppt immediately so strong NaOH solution needs to be added to neutralise part (but only part of) the acetic acid. A copious lilac coloured ppt then forms, chill to freezing before filtering to improve the yield and recrystallised from methanol, ethanol or isopropanol. One recrystallisation with charcoal treatment usually gives pearly, very pale lilac plates of the acetanilide but these are pure enough for my purposes.

I am still working on the 2-nitro-phenylene diamine, it is complicated by the reducible nature of the nitro group and the possibility of complex side reaction with bisulphite ion (ie Piria's reaction) so I tried total reduction with zinc or iron powder to the 1,2,4-triamine but The solution remains very dark coloured and I couldn't separate the triamine from the metal residues but the amine is so prone to oxidation in neutral or basic conditions.

I am not sur eif these notes are going to be of help but they may give you some ideas. Let us know how you get on as I too have so black diaminobenzidine.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2022 at 01:54

thank you for the ideas Boffis!

I tried to use it, I wanted to make a binuclear ligand with 3,3'-Diaminobenzidine and dione(oxidized 1,10-phenanthroline). But nothing came out. The fact is that the reagent is no longer what is written on the jar.

the sad fact is that my reagent isn't very old, it's a fluka chemika reagent maybe 10 years old, also it was unopened, I opened it a few months ago.

I wanted europium complex with the final compound and any acetylacetone derivative. I didn't even think of using it for anything else, I just wanted to make this compound:

306128922_1181923642535391_7400595712167804882_n.jpg - 27kB

[Edited on 16-9-2022 by vano]

Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-9-2022 at 01:57

I wouldn't be surprised if it contained oxidative polymerisation products. Phenylenediamines are prone to oxidation over time, and produce very dark-coloured polymeric materials as a result - this is why they are used in hair dyes.

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist

Go To Top