Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Using ChatGPT to answer chemistry questions
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-4-2023 at 16:11

Quote: Originally posted by sarinox  
Hello all,

Has any of you tried chatGPT to get recipe of a synthesis? How accurate could that be?

I tried it and asked it if it can tell me how to produce C6H5N3O7 ( I gave it a wrong formula to see what it will answer) here is the answer:

Here's the problem with chatgpt: it's a liar. It will blatantly lie and invent references and procedures that don't exist.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 15:19

Quote: Originally posted by gemar14  

Here's the problem with chatgpt: it's a liar. It will blatantly lie and invent references and procedures that don't exist.

Even ChatGPT understands the publish or perish issue... But that is just like many post docs and new proffessors trying to get tenure.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2023 at 15:36

When I worked at IBM many decades ago (in a npn chip making plant as a co-op), they wanted to use some complex artificial intellengence concept, and we played with it a lot, but found very little utility. However, when we used very simple programs, tools, and macros to automate routine tasks so people could avoid lots of data entry, analysis and boring report generation, it was a huge success.

I found the same results in chemistry. I saw several attempts to build complex chemistry automation systems that would try to do complex reactions or multi-step syntheses. Most failed spectactularly, some just clogged and jammed a lot. The more complex, the harder/more expensive to build, maintain, and use. But when we took small tasks and bought machines to do them, like weigh vials, inject samples, collect fractions, etc, they were very useful and helped productivity. So while I like the idea of a genius computer that can be asked to design a drug, find world peace, or write poetry in some ways, I don't think it is what I need. What I need are tools to let me avoid typing the same data in 5 places, write lab reports, order my chemicals (based on the amount of each I need to do a certain synthesis), and predict the weather accurate enough to make real plans on.

My problem is that often even if you have good data and great predictions, bad policies, managment, and government regulations seem to require things to be done a certain way, even if there is a better solution. It does me no good to have a computer tell me how to make a compound if I cannot order the chemicals to make it, have regulations forbidding having them, or my management tells me to do it the wrong way.

Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
1-5-2023 at 16:16
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top