Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone in Australia that could sell me a bit of sodium metal?
Chemist1357
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2023 at 01:13
Anyone in Australia that could sell me a bit of sodium metal?

Would only need a couple grams. I want it so I can have a starter amount to make more.
Reply or U2U me
Thanks.
barbs09
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-3-2023 at 04:45

Hi ya Chemist1357 I'm also in Oz (WA) and while I can't supply any Na, I have had fun producing the metal in maybe just less than gram quantities from pretty ordinary materials. Two photos show the initial set up, cheap expanded silica blocks from Bunnings which I drilled two overlapping ~3cm holes and emplaced steel electrodes. Into these I poured NaOH, melted it with a torch (benzomatic type) and started DC current (car battery). Once current started the torch wasn't needed and the electrolysis was quite violent (sodium/ hydrogen explosions). I expect an inert environment would have helped.., and perhaps a clever membrane set up. The second photo shows abundant molten Na globules that could easily be separated via small metal gauze scoop. This could be re-engineered for efficiency. Note I did change the electrode configuration a bit in the second photo, to keep the products of reaction away from each other (less molten sodium explosions).

cheers, Anton

20210522_145543.jpg - 4.3MB Na.JPG - 62kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-3-2023 at 17:03

Chemist1357
You have a few options.

If you are attempting the "nurdrage" method of sodium production -- which I assume, then be aware that the starter sodium is basically to protect your glassware. It is not actually needed: just expect a lower yield for the first run and perhaps sacrifice a flask.

You could use barbs09' method or something similar to get some sodium.

You could use a thermite style reaction to get a mixture containing sodium. Grind up some NaOH and mix with Mg powder with the Mg in slight stoichiometric excess. Put this in a tin can. Work outside. Toss in a lit sparkler and place a brick on top.
Yield will not be high, but after the reaction is done and cooled you will be able to scrape a mixture of Na, Mg, MgO and Na2O off the side of your tin. This will be an acceptable starter for what you want.

You could send me a U2U. I do have some sodium and could probably send 5-10 grams in some mineral oil. I will trade for some menthol if you have some. Then we will both be equipped to do the same thing. We could exchange via post or connect in person if you are close. Let me know your details.

Nice to know other amateur chemists in Aus.

Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 12-3-2023 at 00:09

I would happily give you for free a big chunk of sodium if you can collect in Brisbane....
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-3-2023 at 19:48

All under control, Lion. We are doing a trade of sorts.

Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 13-3-2023 at 16:01

One tip about nurdrages method, use masion/jam jars. They are a lot cheaper to replace but require care as they are easily broken at high temperature. I have also had sucess using a dollar store cooking pot. The nonstock lining was destroyed after 3 days and contaminated the product, but the purification methods he described work just as well

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted

Go To Top