Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Are you guys using ChatGPT
Gammatron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 16:48
Are you guys using ChatGPT

I haven't been on the forum much lately so I'm not sure if anyone is talking about this but ChatGPT is the most amazing thing I've ever come across on the internet.

One of my side projects in making uranium compounds is to recover Ra from the ore and I've spent hours reading papers and searching for information that's relevant to my specific scenarios and have made little progress in learning the chemistry of Ra... until now. I am continually surprised at how good this thing as finding specific information on obscure subjects and it forms its responses based on information that has already been discussed in the chat.

This is huge for the ameture chemist who has endless questions about things, like myself!

Screenshot_20230426_201856_Chrome.jpg - 546kB Screenshot_20230426_203837_Chrome.jpg - 539kB

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 17:06

Quote: Originally posted by Gammatron  
I haven't been on the forum much lately so I'm not sure if anyone is talking about this but ChatGPT is the most amazing thing I've ever come across on the internet.

One of my side projects in making uranium compounds is to recover Ra from the ore and I've spent hours reading papers and searching for information that's relevant to my specific scenarios and have made little progress in learning the chemistry of Ra... until now. I am continually surprised at how good this thing as finding specific information on obscure subjects and it forms its responses based on information that has already been discussed in the chat.

This is huge for the ameture chemist who has endless questions about things, like myself!

Yes,sometimes I use it out of curiosity,what he comes up with,but often he writes nonsense,makes up fake links to websites where the facts he writes about are not there,or makes up and assumes things based on real information,I guess he considers it a joke.If you show him respect and deference,then he writes more truth. But you have to independently verify everything he writes!There is already a thread or threads about this AI here.On the other hand, this AI has original ideas that may be true and interesting.When you are doing a synthesis of a dangerous compound, you can't trust this AI too much, you have to verify it...
Gammatron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 17:25

I do verify what is said because I have seen it make mistakes, hence why I pointed out the conflicting information in my first picture. But I never heard about using EDTA to recover Ra until now and it seems like a much better option than other methods I've read about. It's more of a guide than source of solid facts I guess.

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 17:31

I do verify what is said because I have seen it make mistakes, hence why I pointed out the conflicting information in my first picture. But I never heard about using EDTA to recover Ra until now and it seems like a much better option than other methods I've read about. It's more of a guide than source of solid facts I guess.

Maybe it's a brilliant idea,he has original and unconventional perspectives,so as a kind of inspiration he is sometimes great...
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-4-2023 at 18:21

Have you looked through the hathi book trust? I mentioned EDTA/sulfamate leaching from old defence department papers earlier this month on your other thread. It was based on research at hathi, looking for Ni electroforming methods, metal processing techniques, nuclear sciences and research.

No AI required, but that's just my old school mentality.

I've found sequestering information on the chemistry of sulfamic acid, solubilities of said salts and such very daunting, and often at least slightly conflicting. But I don't think I'd trust that thing to inbibe and disseminate the information to me better than I can do it. I learned more finding it myself, often finding adjacent papers in journals, before or after the target entry, that were fascinating.

I'd have to say, having people like solo on the reference request thread, unlocking papers I wanted 1000% helpful. I didn't have the go back and counter check each point. Ya just have to have time and patience.

Personally, I'm steering clear of the AI wave. Seen friends using it to create socalled art, but they ARE artists... Ive no respect for it, but some of its kinda interesting. Still not art
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 02:29

This has been discussed on this

ChatGPT Thread

and this

ChatGPT Thread

Pick a slightly complex reaction that you know well and ask ChatGPT for details of the reaction, you will likely get garbage. Check out the discussion on how it works in the second thread.
SplendidAcylation
Hazard to Others

Mood: No one I think is in my tree.

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 03:09

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
Personally, I'm steering clear of the AI wave.

My position exactly.
I would much prefer to say "I told you so" when it all goes wrong, rather than "I should have listened when they said AI would destroy us all!"

:P
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 04:16

Quote: Originally posted by SplendidAcylation  
Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
Personally, I'm steering clear of the AI wave.

My position exactly.
I would much prefer to say "I told you so" when it all goes wrong, rather than "I should have listened when they said AI would destroy us all!"

:P

Ha ha ha.
You have no chance to survive. Make your time. All your base are belong to us.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2023 at 18:38

Oh wait !
That does sound like someone we know ;)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2023 at 09:16

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Oh wait !
That does sound like someone we know ;)

And is there any other AI that is publicly available and is purely focused on chemistry or science??I recently read that some other AI found suitable molecules for a breakthrough treatment of a serious disease and biochemists could not figure it out on their own, so it advised the experts very well and made a breakthrough discovery, so I guess We can't condemn AI in general, but apparently it is AI that is not publicly available and serves only a limited circle of experts. ..I mean,if some circle of experts would make such AI available in philanthropy for us:D,it would undoubtedly benefit us...Maybe someone from Cern,like they made available Proton mail...;) And someone Z-Library.

[Edited on 28-4-2023 by Admagistr]
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2023 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  

...I recently read that some other AI found suitable molecules .....ie Proton mail...;) And someone Z-Library.

[Edited on 28-4-2023 by Admagistr]

Do you recall where you read this? It sounds like a very interesting article.
-CharlieA
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2023 at 20:43

Do you recall where you read this? It sounds like a very interesting article.
-CharlieA
[/rquote]

I am not entirely sure if it was this article, but it is possible.Here is the link:
https://singularityhub.com/2023/04/24/this-ai-can-design-com...
AdamAlden
I have a theory about life, the universe and everything.

Mood: Radioactive

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 16:25

im using it to write songs for me

I am a buttmeister
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 15:48

So doing googleing while when i seen this,

Screenshot_20230607_193944_Samsung Internet.jpg - 459kB

auto chatgpt box pop up. It was so close if it would have been a hand grenade it would have worked. Took a screen shot. Showed it to my boss (genetic professor at local local university) shes saying their collage is getting plagued by kids using this crap, failure rates through in the records and most admitted to using ai. It talks a good game, but gets the important stuff wrong. Like me.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-6-2023 at 07:44

Wow. Every single thing it said there is wrong, wrong, and more wrong...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2023 at 10:19

Maybe it can do better if you ask it to make penicillin or something else. But I doubt it. Chat GPT is just a language tool, it does not really understand anything it says. What it ought to be great for is writing political speeches, as those are mostly lies and exaggerations, which the AI community is good at. Maybe it could write advertising as well, as that is similar.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-6-2023 at 12:05

A friend of mine who is a physics professor was telling me the other day how much trouble they are having with their students using Chat GPT to complete assignments. They are in the process of reconfiguring their assessment structure as a result.
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2023 at 03:47

i coded an app to transform tlc pictures in data series without python skill

i know there a several soft for that but mine is highly optimized to fit my needs and it is free.

i did it last week, there is also peak picking and compound proposition based on rf value and personnal values

[Edited on 12-6-2023 by brubei]

I'm French so excuse my language
foxofax474
Harmless

Mood: Still processing

[*] posted on 19-6-2023 at 14:17

ChatGPT is horrendously bad at chemistry. I've tried using it on my chemistry homework, and it barely gets ~35% of questions right as an upper bound. Just remember it is a large language model, it's not intended for extremely rigorous topics. Use it instead for say drafting professional emails, summarizing stuff, and other language related things.

(∩^o^)⊃━☆ the proof is by magic

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-6-2023 at 20:13

Or just don’t use it, and learn how to write.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2023 at 08:41

Now computers are becoming humanly brave, pretending to know something they have no idea about.

But this "artificial intelligence" is a very old thing...

[Edited on 20-6-2023 by teodor]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2023 at 11:07

I use one of the OpenAI models, don't know exactly which one, every day. They have an IntelliJ plugin, GitHub Copilot, which helps you write code. Works like a charm, I don't exaggerate when i say I'm twice as fast when using it, it completes lines or whole code blocks.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2023 at 23:48

Of course we can make AI to work as we want, investing time/money etc. The question is "why we like to replace something with AI". I just don't get the motivation. Yes, searching and getting articles and literature is costly and time-consuming process, yes, for preparation to experiments I spend 45% of the whole experiment time and washing the glassware takes 40% time, but I still can enjoy this time - a good book arrived or a perfectly clean flask. I don't think cutting 45% which I spent on literature search will allow me to make better experiments. Because it is something about an order, how we can enjoy when things are ordered or messy. AI is a bit messy for me.

I think the fundamental problem of using ChatGPT for chemistry is the absence of data personalization. If you read scientific articles or books it is always kind of a conversation: one authors said something before, other authors argue, summorize etc. But it is always somebody who did something says something. I think it is important part of the chemical knowledge organization.

OK, I can understand that the part of motivation to use AI instead of literature search is to make the data impersonal, like truth staying on its own. Some "sientific approach". But I doubt there is a possibility to have impersonalised knowledge and still have it trustworthy.

[Edited on 21-6-2023 by teodor]
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 21-6-2023 at 13:35
AI

Is it me or does AI sound like a "kewl" ? The separation of MeOH and EtOH was
completely wrong. MeOH has the lower boiling point of the 2. Then to talk about
"fractional crystallization" just makes no sense at all. I'LL NEVER TRUST AI !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2023 at 01:28

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
Is it me or does AI sound like a "kewl" ? The separation of MeOH and EtOH was
completely wrong. MeOH has the lower boiling point of the 2. Then to talk about
"fractional crystallization" just makes no sense at all. I'LL NEVER TRUST AI !

Or just realize this AI is not trained to answer chemistry questions. It is a matter of time before an AI becomes public which is trained and doesn't fail so miserably on simple questions.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top