Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quaternary ammonium compounds as environmental pollutants
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 22:49
Quaternary ammonium compounds as environmental pollutants

This is an interesting and complex issue. It could well be the next PFAS. We have the same issue in Australia as it seems the US does. One QAC will be regulated in multiple and very different ways depending on how it has been categorised, eg pharmaceutical vs pesticides vs product you can buy at your local supermarket.
The article is worth a read of you have an interest in environmental chemistry.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.2c08244
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 16:44

Interesting...

Last August I poured a little bit of benzalkonium chloride in my yard where moss / algae was growing.
It proved to be more efficient than the bleach / broom brush the neighbours tried and also longer lasting. Much much longer lasting as indeed the "clean spot" grew for some weeks transported by rain.
The test spots remained clean until last month when the landlord finally decided to pressure wash the yard...
I already made a note to keep a supply of benzalkonium chloride.

Surprised by this bit though:
"In addition, no high-quality evidence shows that antimicrobials bonded to surfaces reduce healthcare acquired infections."
Would love to read the whole study linked there.
Someone I know whose business is in the field of antimicrobials bonded to surfaces seemed to be thriving even before Covid. I've even seen antimicrobial coatings in public transport appear since.
I think I'm going to annoy a CEO with questions tomorrow :)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top