Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to prepare magnesium bisglycinate?
RadicallyStabilized
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 03:22
How to prepare magnesium bisglycinate?

Hi!

I wonder whether magnesium bisglycinate can be conveniently prepared from glycine and other magnesium salts (citrates, carbonate, chloride, sulfate or oxide), ideally quite pure.

Does anyone have an idea?

Have a nice weekend, RS

Everyday consciousness classifies and subordinates, coerces under patterns of easy manipulation and disregards the essential.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2023 at 08:06

Do you have magnesium hydroxide?
RadicallyStabilized
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 04:58

Not currently but I could get some.

Then simply mix solutions stoichiometrically and evaporate the result?

Everyday consciousness classifies and subordinates, coerces under patterns of easy manipulation and disregards the essential.
KoiosPhoebus
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-6-2023 at 08:07

That would be the easiest way to go about it. Note that it may take a while due to the very low solubility of magnesium hydroxide - I'd recommend leaving it stirring for a good hour before trying to evaporate it. Additionally magnesium hydroxide is more soluble at colder temperatures and hence I wouldn't heat it until the reaction is complete, to accelerate the complexation by maintaining a high pH.

Another alternative, if you can't find magnesium hydroxide or oxide, is to first react calcium hydroxide with glycine, and then react the resulting calcium bisglycinate with magnesium sulphate. Glycine has greater affinity for magnesium and will complex it over calcium; meanwhile the non-complexed calcium ions will react with the sulphate anion and precipitate as calcium sulphate.

I wouldn't advise using magnesium citrate as the citrate anion is itself a chelating agent for magnesium. In fact, citrate is actually a stronger chelating agent for magnesium, with a stability constant (log K) for the MgCitrate species of 3.43 versus 1.66 for the MgGly+ species (at 25 deg C, 0.1 M ionic species). Even magnesium bisglycinate (Mg(Gly)2) has a log K of just 2.26 (at 25 deg C, 3.0 M ionic species - a greater concentration of ionic species can somewhat lower log K).

Go To Top