Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemiluminescence questions.
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 03:49
Chemiluminescence questions.

Most chemiluminescence are where you mix 2 liquids and they emit light.

1. Can chemiluminescence happen between 2 gases?

2. Most chemiluminescence between a liquid and a gas (such as luminol and oxygen), is where the liquid emits light. Can there be 1 where the gas emits light instead?

3. Does chemiluminescence perform brighter/longer from singlet oxygen or triplet oxygen? I don't think this has anything to do with fluorophores.

Thanks.
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 05:40

1. Yes. reaction of AsH3 and O3 is one example : /10.1021/ac061439y
2. Yes. Singlet oxygen formed by reaction of H2O2 and NaClO is one example
3. Not sure what youre asking.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 06:49

1. Reaction between NO and O3. It's used for determination of nitrogen oxides.
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 07:00

Triplet state relaxation, if no reaction occur, exhibit Phosphorescence, which tend to have longer half life than fluorescence. So in theory Triplet Oxygen would phosphor longer than it fluoresces.
Remember, Fluorescence occur generally from excited singlet state to ground singlet state. Phosphorescence occur from excited triplet state to ground singlet state

[Edited on 1-7-2023 by Chem Science]
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 07:30

Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackleford  
2. Yes. Singlet oxygen formed by reaction of H2O2 and NaClO is one example

So the light is from the oxygen-gas? I seen Youtube vids of this, the light still be in the liquid portion. But did the luminescent O come from the peroxide or the bleach?

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
1. Reaction between NO and O3. It's used for determination of nitrogen oxides.

I heard it was with N2O.

[Edited on 1-7-2023 by Neal]
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 07:55

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemiluminescence#Gas-phase_re...
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 08:40

Ah okay. Nitrogen dioxide in the atmosphere was once measured by this chemiluminescence.

1 thing I found out pretty recent was the mechanism behind glow-in-the-dark toys is not phosphorescence. I e-mailed a German chemical company that had a Jablonski diagram and said phosphorescence doesn't last more than 10 seconds. And I asked how could that be with glow-in-the-dark toys lasting for hours. And so, they responded that mechanism is "persistent luminescence." And looked at the Wikipedia article and Google, they still say that mechanism is still not fully understood.

Somewhere down the line, fluorescence/phosphorescence has nothing to do with chemiluminescence, so I'm looking at singlet vs. triplet oxygen only in terms of chemiluminescence.
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by Neal  

1 thing I found out pretty recent was the mechanism behind glow-in-the-dark toys is not phosphorescence. I e-mailed a German chemical company that had a Jablonski diagram and said phosphorescence doesn't last more than 10 seconds. And I asked how could that be with glow-in-the-dark toys lasting for hours. And so, they responded that mechanism is "persistent luminescence." And looked at the Wikipedia article and Google, they still say that mechanism is still not fully understood.

Somewhere down the line, fluorescence/phosphorescence has nothing to do with chemiluminescence, so I'm looking at singlet vs. triplet oxygen only in terms of chemiluminescence.

Hmm ... Phosphorescent usually have a half-life of 10 seconds, which does not mean that the light emitting will last 10 seconds, it means half of the triplet states will relax in 10 seconds, then the half of that half in another 10 seconds ... it's a decay that depends on the number of triplet states populated. Persistant luminescence is another phenomenon which i dont know about.
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 18:20

Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  

Hmm ... Phosphorescent usually have a half-life of 10 seconds, which does not mean that the light emitting will last 10 seconds, it means half of the triplet states will relax in 10 seconds, then the half of that half in another 10 seconds ... it's a decay that depends on the number of triplet states populated. Persistant luminescence is another phenomenon which i dont know about.

Ok, I replied to them to clarify what they meant by 10 seconds, if they meant half-life or not.

This was their site.

https://www.edinst.com/de/blog/jablonski-diagram/
Neal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2023 at 05:40

This Home Depot website lists fluorescent spray paint, that comes in a variety of colors. However, it only makes 1 "glow-in-the-dark" spray paint, so far only in green color. These products all seem new on their site. Made by Rust-oleum.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Craft-Paint-Glow-In-The-Da...

I'm asking if there's plans to come in more colors.

Now I wonder about Lowe's. If they also have glow-in-the-dark spray in their catalog.

Go To Top