Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How does silicone react with bleach and mold removal foam?
carlrodeo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 02:10
How does silicone react with bleach and mold removal foam?

Hello. I need to clean silicone sealant (serves as sink sealant) off the mold and have a choice of using bleach or white vinegar or mold removal foam (contains sodium hydroxide).

How would each react with the silicone? I want to clean it off the mold and I want to use the least degrading material.

Thanks
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 02:31

I wouldn't use silicane to seal the joints of a long terms storage tank for vinegar or bleach.
But the material shoud stand up to either cleaning agent for a while.

Bleach will actually kill the mould and will also remove the discolouration; vinegar might not.

It's probably wise to test the cleaning agent on a small area first.

(I'm assuming you are actually trying to clean mould off silicone, rather than the other way round).

carlrodeo
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-8-2023 at 09:54

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
(I'm assuming you are actually trying to clean mould off silicone, rather than the other way round).

Yes. The mould will grow back after some time though after treatment with bleach?

Do you happen to know DIY home solution for silicone removal itself? I know there are special removers sold but I need for a one-time removal.
Johanson
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-8-2023 at 21:27

Several methods you could try, depending on what your countertop is made of
1. a little heat and a window scraper razor-knife should take it off granite countertops or p-Lam countertops. You may not even need to heat it.
2. lacquer thinner on a rag will work for stone or stainless countertop, but will damage p-Lam countertops and faux-quartz countertops, and will gum-up tile grout.
3. WD-40 which is basically naphtha will dissolve silicone sealer, so they say. I would personally try lacquer thinner first, since it's probably faster and not as messy, but lacquer thinner will dissolve plastic-things so be careful
Let us know what worked!
carlrodeo
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-8-2023 at 00:31

Quote:
3. WD-40 which is basically naphtha will dissolve silicone sealer, so they say. I would personally try lacquer thinner first, since it's probably faster and not as messy, but lacquer thinner will dissolve plastic-things so be careful

I went with hot air brush drier which is more concentrated than hair fan dryer and it helped. Used utility knife to get old sealant out and then scrubbed remains with acetone and white vinegar. Didn't have lacquer thinner or turpentine. Had WD-40 but decided not to use it on area that will be resealed which I didn't mention. Maybe I could have cleaned the remains with kitchen degreaser or white vinegar though.

Go To Top