Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Finding small amounts of Plutonium or U235?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 27-9-2023 at 01:39

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Quote: Originally posted by beerwiz  
The small scale way is using MS with a large collector, if properly configured, it can do about 1g in less than 2 days.
No, it most certainly can’t. Not even a real particle accelerator can achieve that level of yield. Once again, I can’t tell if this is trolling or pure delusion.

I believe that is actually in the ballpark of the production rate that was achieved by a single cell in the calutrons in the time of WW2. So, I guess it is theoretically possible. I might have suspected beerwiz pulled that number from a paper about the calutrons, if only he had shown any evidence of reading anything at all.
Oh well, good luck building a calutron, beerwiz. Should be easy peazy for someone of your caliber.

[Edited on 27-9-2023 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2023 at 04:08

Just for the record. If anyone is actually thinking of making nanometre powdered uranium.
1 The "lumps" will still be too big to let you separate the isotopes by centrifugation.
2 the powder will be spontaneously flammable in air.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-9-2023 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
The small scale way is using MS with a large collector, if properly configured, it can do about 1g in less than 2 days.
No, it most certainly can’t. Not even a real particle accelerator can achieve that level of yield. Once again, I can’t tell if this is trolling or pure delusion.

I believe that is actually in the ballpark of the production rate that was achieved by a single cell in the calutrons in the time of WW2. So, I guess it is theoretically possible. I might have suspected beerwiz pulled that number from a paper about the calutrons, if only he had shown any evidence of reading anything at all.
My bad. I actually did try to find a source to back me up but wasn't able to do so in a timely manner, so I settled for a gut feeling as that seemed in keeping with the general quality of this thread. ;)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2023 at 02:41

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

Not if you, as beerwiz, can nanomize it and get perfect separation by putting it in a centrifuge. Then you only need a couple dozen kilograms from which you can get that last bit of U-235.

Do you think that will work? I can nanomize it easily in the 2-5nm range.

I thought the sarcasm would be obvious, but no I don't think it will work. I'm absolutely sure it won't work. You need atoms to be able to move independently to be able to seperate them by centrifugation. Maybe you should calculate how many atoms there are in a 2nm particle.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 28-9-2023 at 07:53

I'm revising my original hypothesis to crystal meth.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-9-2023 at 02:37

Here you go Beerwiz. This is how it is done.
Just a little bit of backyard engineering and away you go.

Plutonium Metal Preparation

(Seriously though: this came across my feed and I thought it rather interesting.)
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 29-9-2023 at 12:44

100 million dollars would be plenty to build something like this. You could even get your money back by selling the extra plutonium to a nonspecific geographical location for their "nuclear energy projects".

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2023 at 14:14

In the video, they conveniently started with plutonium nitrate solution. The actual problem is how to get -that-, or anything containing a significant amount of plutonium at all.
The part in that video is the easy part.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2023 at 14:49

You're right, you would need something like a breeder reactor. The OP mentions he has access to an "infinite amount" of U-238.
Honestly though, it feels kind of useless to continue this discussion as this "billionaire researcher" has no idea what he's getting into.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
phlogiston
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2023 at 03:17

I don't think we're having this discussion to actually help the allegedly superintelligent billionaire researcher. He just provided a nice prompt to have some chat among ourselves about interesting things/videos's etc we've learned about these kinds of processes to share with each other. We can mess with him a bit along the way, as he is doing with us.

-----
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2023 at 08:13

I agree, isotopic separation processes are very interesting. I just feel like any amateur trying them would end up David Hahn chapter 2. We only need to keep it theoretical.

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 30-9-2023 at 10:30

What is the smallest reactor possible using natural uranium only? CP1 used some 5 tonnes of uranium metal plus 40 tonnes of uranium oxide, but I'm sure it can be made smaller using heavy water (1/10 the neutron absorption cross section).

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
leau
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2023 at 09:16

What's needed most is protective clothing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_shielding

such as is worn by medical professionals when exposed to radiation :) The end results from the effort applied :cool:
leau
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2024 at 09:09

Uranium is very toxic so perhaps those interested in such poison should know how to remove it :) The end results from the effort applied :cool:

Attachment: UraniumToxicity.zip (481kB)
This file has been downloaded 24 times

Trashcanman
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 16:19

I want to run some tests on small amounts of pure Plutonium (239 or 241) and U235, just need about 1 gram of each. I am willing to pay, money is no object, I can pay up to $100k per gram if need be. These are just for testing purposes and reference material.

Any ideas or advice on where I can buy them? I know sample amounts of Uranium ore are OTC, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask for a small reference amount of Plutonium and U235.

If all else fails, can I synthesize or extract them myself? Just need 1 gram of each, that's all.

[Edited on 24-9-2023 by beerwiz]

Beerwiz... You fedboys are glowing stronger than the demon core.

You write like a true fed.
GTFO!

Glowie.gif - 1008kB

[Edited on 3-4-2024 by Trashcanman]

EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 20:24

Pakistan was dumping their nuclear waste in Afghanistan in 2000s. Given the local conditions, waste is likely to be unguarded and either left on surface or buried not so deep.
So everything beerwiz needs is a spade and one ticket to Afghanistan. Getting the found treasure out of the country would be the hardest part, but some experiments can be carried out on site. If captured by Taliban, no need to worry, they are less radical than IS-KP and unlikely to behead you.
If you find anything interesting, beerwiz, send some samples to Idlib, Syria. Local researchers want to experiment a bit too.

Wroom wroom
Trashcanman
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2024 at 09:13

Quote: Originally posted by EF2000  
Pakistan was dumping their nuclear waste in Afghanistan in 2000s. Given the local conditions, waste is likely to be unguarded and either left on surface or buried not so deep.
So everything beerwiz needs is a spade and one ticket to Afghanistan. Getting the found treasure out of the country would be the hardest part, but some experiments can be carried out on site. If captured by Taliban, no need to worry, they are less radical than IS-KP and unlikely to behead you.
If you find anything interesting, beerwiz, send some samples to Idlib, Syria. Local researchers want to experiment a bit too.

I bet they already dug out a considerable amount of it and sold it to everyone who was willing to pay for it.

I can imagine a bunch of goatherders in Kandahar painting watches with a mix of nuclear waste and copper activated zinc sulfide xD

glowInTheDark.PNG - 643kB

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-4-2024 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by Trashcanman  
Beerwiz... You fedboys are glowing stronger than the demon core.

You write like a true fed.
GTFO!
Meh. I think it's far more likely he's just a highly delusional modern day wannabe alchemist, given his post history contains mentions of "a project that has infinite ROI," "alchemical procedures," and to top it all off, literally saying he's "making the philosopher's stone." Just a kook through and through. That or a very dedicated troll who's been flying under the radar for a decade.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Trashcanman
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2024 at 11:53

Meh. I think it's far more likely he's just a highly delusional modern day wannabe alchemist, given his post history contains mentions of "a project that has infinite ROI," "alchemical procedures," and to top it all off, literally saying he's "making the philosopher's stone." Just a kook through and through. That or a very dedicated troll who's been flying under the radar for a decade.

I took a look at his older posts and must say that you are probably right.
He is completely nuts.

nuts.jpg - 33kB

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top