Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to melt recovered from solution Tin?
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2023 at 12:26
How to melt recovered from solution Tin?

Hello again guys.
Any suggestions on how to melt recovered Tin? And why is it not melting? Oxidizing by something in a air? By what then?
In my experiment I've recovered Tin on Aluminum as black powder from solvated in water Chloride, black Tin powder not melting no matter how hot you heat it, turning grey from black. Then I've heated grey tin powder with some Carbon in a test tube to the temperature of the Pyrex test tube melting, Tin doesn't recover. Electrolyzing the Chloride, produces beautiful Tin crystals, any one here tried melting those? But I think this method will produce lots of Chlorine on large scale recovery.

Ok, people sell English Pewter on Ebay very cheap, sometimes for the price of postage just to get rid of, kilograms. Believing the Wiki, Pewter is an alloy of Tin at least 85% Sn. UK is rich for Tin. Producing pure Tin out of it and melting into ingots and selling on ebay might make a good profit. 25L of 10% HCl cost like 20£ with delivery at now days price. Also I will have lots of Tin Citrate in future from processing PCBs for gold, with Copper Hydroxide that I've left from previous batches, I will neutralize excess citric acid left in a batch of chips that I remove solder of over the years. With filtered solution of many metal ions, mostly copper and tin, I'm planning to remove solder from the next batch, Gold plating will turn grey, yes, this shit happens, but it's still there, ready for the base metal to be oxidized underneath it and completely free of solder.

346088329_2263380573832664_855938263855737998_n.jpg.16de98ad7c2253945147f58d45d42826.jpg - 114kB

[Edited on 26-11-2023 by Romix]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-11-2023 at 13:36

Sounds like you’re trying to melt tin that

a) has too high of a surface area, so it quickly oxidizes when it is heated to the melting point
b) is too small of an amount/too spread out to coalesce once molten

I experienced a similar problem years ago when I tried to melt together the bismuth powder I recovered from Pepto Bismol tablets. Instead of obtaining a nice nugget of bismuth metal, I observed my black bismuth powder convert to yellow bismuth oxide. If you want to properly melt a metal powder, you need to use a flux to exclude air. I don’t know what an appropriate one would be for tin, so I’ll leave it to you to look that up.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 26-11-2023 at 17:46

Table sugar is cheap and nasty. Boil your ingot to remove the caramel
Sugar also acts as a carbon source, under high heat, it will react with many oxides to reduce the metal.
There are many better options

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 08:49
averageaussie
Hazard to Self

Mood: school :(

[*] posted on 27-11-2023 at 14:40

Quote: Originally posted by Romix  

Ok, people sell English Pewter on Ebay very cheap, sometimes for the price of postage just to get rid of, kilograms.

[Edited on 26-11-2023 by Romix]

Where are you getting your pewter from? I cant find any source on ebay that is that cheap.

Go To Top