Printable Version  
Author: Subject: shelf live LiALH4
WalterB
Harmless

Mood: There's More Than One of Everything

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 06:47
shelf live LiALH4

HI.
Have LiALH4 over 5 years in metal can from supplier shelf life should be one year. Never opened, kept in two plastic bag filled with silica beads and closed in other container filled also with silica, lid is crashed little bit down not sure if I did it or from decrease pressure inside. Wil be still use able or its already bad? Do not want to open till I need it.

Thank you.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 08:20

Ultimately the answer is “you won’t know until you try it.” I have seen reagents in those sealed metal cans be perfectly preserved until long past their expiration date, and I’ve also seen ones that have degraded despite the can remaining visibly intact. When you do open it, you can run a test reaction on something cheap to see if it is still active. My suggestion would be a reduction of methyl or ethyl benzoate to benzyl alcohol, because it should only work if the LAH is active and it can easily be followed by TLC.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
WalterB
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 08:59

Thank you Texium. I thought that just wanted to make sure. I guess I will learn something new. :)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 02:03

From my own experience I can say that LiAlH4 has unlimited shelf life if it is kept absolutely dry and no air cycling is possible.

I have some in a glass bottle with special seal inside a GL45 screw cap. That LiAlH4 is almost 10 years old and it is as good, as when I received it. I also kept some in a small glass bottle, with an ordinary plastic screw cap. That LiAlH4 has completely degraded. The problem with most containers is that there is cycling of air in/from the container. Hot weather, then air goes out, cold weather, then air gets in again. Each time, when there is some cycling, also some water vapor get in, which reacts with the LiAlH4. If your seal is so good, that there is no thermal cycling of air, then the LiAlH4 remains good.

The same is true for NaBH4, this also can be kept perfectly fine in a compeltely sealed bottle, but it slowly degrades in an ordinary bottle, due to air cycling, leading to formation of NaBO2.xH2O in the long run.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
WalterB
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 17:10

That sounds good due I never open the can and was filled under inert atm. Will post after open.

Thx to NL from ex CZ.

BTW if was you who did my registration good date of birth. :)

Go To Top