Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HMTD-Trimethyl Borate adduct
Thionic
Harmless

Mood: ᓚᘏᗢ

[*] posted on 25-12-2023 at 12:30
HMTD-Trimethyl Borate adduct

I was wondering if making an adduct between HMTD and trimethyl borate is possible by simply adding HMTD to trimethyl borate, and then evaporating off the remaining trimethyl borate

I would try it myself first, however considering the dangers of HMTD i thought it wise to post here first to see if anyone has tried it before or has any information on the adduct

Could it possibly become even more sensitive due to the electron withdrawing effect of the trimethyl borate taking electron density away from the peroxide bonds? Or would no adduct form at all?

Sorry if there are any issues with this post, its my first time posting
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 26-12-2023 at 04:56

What about more safe experiment first, like checking whether hexamine forms adduct? Also, triethyl borate is a bit safer than trimethyl (flash point +11 vs -9°C).
Frankly, idea to combine very sensitive primary and almost pyrophoric borate ester sounds suicidal.
Edit: not pyrophoric, just highly flammable, still bad idea.
If you want to make green flash with boron instead of barium, there is much safer way: fine boron carbide powder burns with pretty green flame.

[Edited on 26-12-2023 by EF2000]

Wroom wroom
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2023 at 07:06

Are the alkyl borates pyrophoric? I thought only the boranes, but I could be wrong.

In either case, HMTD isn’t a very good peroxide (or EM at the very least) and neither is trimethylborate. If a big green flame is just the desired outcome, buy a pound of a Barium salt and throw it onto an energetic anion like picrate or even something cheap like chlorate.

Go To Top