Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrocellulose shelf storage
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-12-2023 at 14:13
Nitrocellulose shelf storage

Hi,
As we all know NC is kinda unstable and need to be stabilized for long shelf life(i heard urea can work).

Anyway, this bring another question for me.
If i dissolve it into acetone to make some NC lacquer will it have better shelf life?

2nd and most important.
If someone made black powder fuses and dip them in the above homemade NC lacquer for waterproofing will the NC coating will also go bad over time or thats not an issue?.

I had the idea to add some urea to the NC lacquer but its not soluble into acetone sadly :(.

Also my fuses are made chinese style rolled with thin paper(and they perform very well even underwater), if it change anything.

[Edited on 30-12-2023 by fx-991ex]

[Edited on 30-12-2023 by fx-991ex]
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 30-12-2023 at 16:55

If it’s neutralized properly, it has a near infinite shelf life. Don’t add extra alkali, though, as that will actually make it less stable. You want it as near neutral as possible. Boil it in sodium bicarbonate solution for a while, then rinse and boil in distilled water with a small amount of urea. Urea absorbs and destroys any nitrogen oxides, which cause the nitrocellulose to decompose.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 31-12-2023 at 05:09

fx-991ex..........
Place the NC in a sealable jar and cover with water. So that it is completely submerged. But not compressed. Pour 0.1g of NaHCO3 for every 1 gram dry of NC. The shelf life is extended to 10 years. Confirmed.....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-12-2023 at 14:37

Thanks you to sir_gawain and LoL for the good advice.

Anyone know if the NC coated fuses will have good shelf life? and will the liquid NC lacquer(acetone) have good shelf life?

sulaiman, i only made 4g, half of it is in NC lacquer liquid form or on my BP fuses. Not really big quantity to keep around and i dont like wasting stuff/dont want to have too many BP fuses around too since i dont know the shelf life either.

I was thinking of making firecracker with the excess, i just didnt bother.

[Edited on 31-12-2023 by fx-991ex]
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 31-12-2023 at 16:24

If your nitrocellulose is properly neutralized, the lacquer should last years.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.

Go To Top