Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recrystallization, solubility of glacial acids.
semiconductive
Hazard to Others

Mood: Explorative

[*] posted on 2-1-2024 at 14:03
Recrystallization, solubility of glacial acids.

I'm just doing some physical chemistry experiments at the moment, and am curious about what is more likely to recrystallize in a non-water system.

I'll describe what I've done, my reasoning, and I would appreciate any comments pointing out where I likely have made a mistake.

----

I bought some sodium saccharine, which turns out to carry water of crystallization.
Saccharine is a weak acid, so I think the sodium might be removable by exposure to a stronger acid. At the same time, by boiling it in an acid and refluxing I figure the water could be driven off.

So, I tried an experiment

roughly 1CC dry measure of NaSaccharine, in 4CC's glacial acetic acid.
I heated it until it fully dissolved using a soldering iron (25W) in a glass test tube.
The grains of sodium saccharine cause bubbling/boiling until all of it is dissolved. Once dissolved, the boiling point rapidly rises and bumping occurs. Can easily erupt out of test tube.

When I allow to cool, roughly the same amount of crystals form (volume wise) as initially added as Na:Sacc. I think this means that the solubility of saccharine in glacial acetic acid is low, when cold.

Acetic acid will absorb water, but the molecular weight of acetic acid + water is lower than that of acetic acid bonded to saccharine; so I expect the acetic acid to co-boil with water leaving a continuously stronger solution of saccharine in acetic acid.

When re-heating, a second time, the solution does not boil during the dissolution of the crystals. I think this is a good sign that the water of crystallization, originally in the saccharine, has transferred into the acetic acid. I boil the system down until only 1CC of liquid remains. Then I add 2cc's of fresh glacial acetic acid again.

Hopefully, the remaining solution is now very close to anhydrous.

I am not sure how to get the sodium to separate from the saccharine.
I know if I add a stronger acid, such as formic acid, that the sodium ought to prefer the formic acid over the saccharine. But, I am not sure which will want to go into solution more -- the saccharine, or the sodium formate.

It occurrs to me that MgSO4, cooked to dryness, will not dissolve in glacial acetic acid. Perhaps I could use it as a dessicant, and because it is highly polar, I would expect it to cause any traces of water or small polar molecules (Na:Formate), to stick to it. Adding 1/2CC of dry powder sinks to the bottom of the tube. It increases the rate of re-crystallization when cooling the tube, remarkably.

The entire tube rapidly fills with crystals when cooling, and the liquid tends to become colloidal when heated to boiling with MgSO4 present.

I begin adding formic acid drop wise, re-heating and cooling the tube, in particular I begin to heat the top of the tube (rather than the bottom) and place the bottom of the tube on a cold metal surface in order to encourage crystallization to start from the bottom of the test tube. I also cap the tube with a rubber bung to reduce heat loss from the top.

After several small additions of formic acid (7 drops/ cycle of heating recrystallizing), I notice that a significant amout of the saccharine no longer crystallizes out. I have roughly 1/2CC of crystals forming, AND the remaining solution becomes clear after several cycles of heating the remaining liquid and cooling it again. ( But, if I heat the bottom of the test tube, the entire thing becomes colloidal again. )

So, I have a situation where roughly 1CC of dry saccharine powder now re-crystallizes into 1/2cc of crystals. Upon careful heat cycling while leaving a few crystals un-dissolved on bottom of tube, I can get the remaining solution to turn clear.

Now, I am not sure what is crystallizing out and what is remaining in solution.
I have been told that during crystallization, substances tend to separate since crystals do not like to include multiple different chemicals.

I am hoping that saccharine (being a bigger molecule, less polar), is more likely to remain in solution than sodium formate will. Would you expect this to happen, but if not, why not?

Thanks. (Curious.)

Go To Top