Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tip - How to temporarily seal any storage container
deadrush
Harmless

Mood: Fungible

[*] posted on 30-1-2024 at 23:02
Tip - How to temporarily seal any storage container

Ive been a home chemist for almost 3 years now and ive made a plethora of mistakes and poor assumptions. One trick i learned that i thought id pass on is this stuff:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nexcare-first-aid-tape-1-x-180-inches-(5yd)/ID=prod360977-product
Just wrap it once around a "sealed" lid or cap and 95% of leakage is eliminateed. I use this on everything. The pool HCl bottle has this around it and no more rapid rusting in the vicinity.
I tested its efficacy on two full plastic soda bottles. I opened both and promptly closed them again. I applied the tape to one of them and waited a month. In the end one was flat as can be, the other hadnt seemed to lose any.
My wife is very sensitive to smells and i use it on all my solvents. Havnt had a complaint since!
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 31-1-2024 at 14:48

Meet my little friend
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blue-Monster-4-oz-PTFE-Pipe-Thre...
Bottle caps, screws, bolts, ground glass joints. This stuff will seal them all.
Not recommend for oxidizers or concentrated acids

When sealing ground glass joints, a thin layer of sealant wraped in thread seal tape will make a perfect joint that can last indeffentetly and be separated later with 200c distillation.
For higher temperatures up to 330c just using ptfe tape works great but is prone to leaks and requires technique to get good seals.
Much cheaper than high vacuum grease.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2024 at 19:13

Quote: Originally posted by deadrush  
The pool HCl bottle has this around it and no more rapid rusting in the vicinity.

Thanks! I ordered a roll off eBay and will try it on my HCl bottle.

[Edited on 1-2-2024 by Jenks]
deadrush
Harmless

Mood: Fungible

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 08:59

In dire circumstances i actually use pfte (plumber's) tape AND the silicone tape. Ive found that the threads on bottles are not nearly as tight, precise, and strong as the ptfe tape was meant for. PVC pipe threads are different animals if you ask me.
Thats not to say ptfe tape doesnt help, it does.

On a related note... Anyone know of a product that would cover the inside of a cap / inside of a container with ptfe?

I actually bought 1.5in wide ptfe tape to cover some containers followed by a cap but it never works quite right.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
1-2-2024 at 10:05

Go To Top