Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about university
Achilles
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 08:24
Question about university

im a homemade chemist and i study organic, analytic and industrial chemistry at school and im in love with explosives, if anyone knows which university would fit the most for someone that wants to study energetic compounds? sorry for the weird question but all i found was mining sciences which still includes explosives but id like more to be in the field of research and testing.

thanks for the time
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 08:50

Something like this:

https://studuj.upce.cz/en/engineering-energetic-materials-0
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 10:53

Well first it’s important to know: where in the world are you, and how far afield are you willing to search for a university? That’s going to help narrow recommendations.

Really though, energetics-specific programs/research labs are going to be few and far between. It would probably be more practical to find a local university with some good organic synthesis groups, because even if you aren’t making energetics, you’ll still learn all the skills you need and be able to get a job in your specific field of interest after you graduate.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 11:28

If you really want to do that work, try the Colorado School of Mines or Missouri University of Science and Technology. They both have degrees in mining and related work, with blasting programs. If you want to start early, google "explosives summer camp" for some great programs. I wish I had done this as a youngster...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 15:29

But- do you just want to blow stuff up, or do you want to do research on novel energetic materials? If it's the latter, a general chemistry program with research in organic synthesis would be better suited. Mining engineering may get your hands on explosives faster, but you won't be doing any chemistry.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Achilles
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 23:24

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Something like this:

but its a phd right? still nice to know thank you
Achilles
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 23:24

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
But- do you just want to blow stuff up, or do you want to do research on novel energetic materials? If it's the latter, a general chemistry program with research in organic synthesis would be better suited. Mining engineering may get your hands on explosives faster, but you won't be doing any chemistry.

i like both for sure but research would be better
Achilles
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 23:25

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Well first it’s important to know: where in the world are you, and how far afield are you willing to search for a university? That’s going to help narrow recommendations.

Really though, energetics-specific programs/research labs are going to be few and far between. It would probably be more practical to find a local university with some good organic synthesis groups, because even if you aren’t making energetics, you’ll still learn all the skills you need and be able to get a job in your specific field of interest after you graduate.

im in italy but willing to move
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 24-2-2024 at 02:35

Quote: Originally posted by Achilles  
Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Something like this:

but its a phd right? still nice to know thank you

It's engineer degree (ing). If you want to continue they also have the same program for PhD. But first you must do some general undergraduate program before this engineer program. Degree from Universtiy of Pardubice is widely accepted in other countries. There is even factory in Pardubice which produce explosives, SEMTEX was invented in Pardubice.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 24-2-2024 at 09:08

In the US, an engineering degree is a bit different than in the Czech Republic. In the Czech Republic it's a kind of master's degree. I think that the University of Pardubice is one of the best in the world in terms of studying energy materials, maybe the best in the world! In the Czech Republic, this science of energy materials has a very high level and tradition. As Bedlasky mentioned, Semtex was invented in the Czech Republic and we have a lot of experts in this field. Personally I would go to study in Pardubice;)!

Go To Top