Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oleophobic coatings composition
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2024 at 00:50
Oleophobic coatings composition

Hey,

does anyone really know what's inside the oleophobic coatings used to ‘temper’ smartphone screens against fingerprints?

I vaguely get they’re fluorine based, but not sure exactly of anything beyond this point. I wonder if they could be easily synthesised, given they don’t seem to be available in Europe (I had to order a vial from Amazon US and ask someone traveling to Europe to carry it for me).
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy (again)

[*] posted on 11-3-2024 at 04:12

Not exactly synthesise but you can mix your own. The patents are very vague on the percentages and it would be a long series of trials to find the best proportions. But it can be done.

Patent US9382441B2 states that "[t]he present disclosure provides a hydrophobic and oleophobic coating composition, which comprises the following components based on weight percentage: 0.1-15% of a fluorosiloxane, 1-30% of a polyacrylic resin, 0.1-15% of a silane coupler, 33-98% of an organic solvent, and 0.05-15% of an acid."

The coatings are based on a fluorosiloxane, the identity of which varies "[a]ccording to certain embodiments" and are easier bought than synthesised. Take a look at the catalogue of Nanjing SiSiB Silicones Co., Ltd.; they have both the fluorosiloxane and the silane coupler. As for the rest, there's a huge chance you have both the acid and the organic solvent, and the resin you can find almost anywhere.

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2024 at 06:57

Quote: Originally posted by bnull  
Not exactly synthesise but you can mix your own.

Take a look at the catalogue of Nanjing SiSiB Silicones Co., Ltd.; they have both the fluorosiloxane and the silane coupler. As for the rest, there's a huge chance you have both the acid and the organic solvent, and the resin you can find almost anywhere.

Wow. Thanks for that. Will definitely have a look.

Go To Top