Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: urea:metal oxoanion complexes
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2024 at 17:22
urea:metal oxoanion complexes

I'm interested in energetic metal:ligand complexes with oxidizing counteranions, and have found that urea is far easier to get and work with than hexamine or hydrazine.

Has anyone worked with copper urea nitrate, copper urea perchlorate, ferric urea nitrate, or ferric urea perchlorate?

What kind of properties do they have, and what is the best way to synthesize them?
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2024 at 18:10

I looked through the exotic primaries stickied megathread and didn't find anything about straight-up urea. I saw a few things about diaminourea/carbohydrazide, but essentially nothing about carbamide itself.

Unless I miss my guess, nickel and cobalt would be better targets than copper or iron? From what I've been able to gather I think that, unless I miss my guess they would coordinate through the carbonyl rather than the amide nitrogen and act as monodentate ligands rather than bidentate.
Etanol
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2024 at 21:43

I don't think unsubstituted urea complexes will be powerful. This is bad fuel.
[Cu(urea)2](NO3)2 and [Ni(urea)3](NO3)2 will be similar to tetraamminecopper nitrate and hexaamminenickel nitrate respectively.
Perchlorates is better, but it’s expensive to waste HClO4 on it.

Quote: Originally posted by Yorty2040  
they would coordinate through the carbonyl rather than the amide nitrogen and act as monodentate ligands rather than bidentate.

I don't know

[Edited on 18-4-2024 by Etanol]
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2024 at 18:55

Urea nitrate can be readily dehydrated to nitrourea, but nitrourea has a tendency to hydrolyze, with the rate dependant on pH. Would the complex of a transition metal nitrate with nitrourea slow this process or accelerate it?

[Edited on 20-4-2024 by Yorty2040]
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 23-4-2024 at 07:50

Don't know about urea, but guanylurea does complex with copper perchlorate. And possibly with nickel, but the results are described as "mysterious". See the Energetic Heretic's video: A quick examination of guanylurea Cu and Ni perchlorate complexes.
Energetic Heretic said in comments that copper complex works well as rocket propellant.

Wroom wroom
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2024 at 17:53

In terms of EM literature, the urea series becomes substantially more interesting when in the form of biuret, semicarbazide, carbohydrazide and I would also suspect that nitrosemicarbazide would be interesting. I believe semicarbazide tends to lean towards secondary explosive behavior in a metal/anion complex, carbohydrazide leans towards primary explosive. Biuret leans towards secondary explosive complexes. Nitrosemicarbazide is unreported at least towards the purpose of EM, from my searching. A lot of the urea complexes are very little tested. There is less work on them than even guanidium. I remember reading a paper once that urea complexes with iron readily. I would imagine that urea complexes would be unstable. The topic is sort of on the edge of current research. NTO, DNB, and NU/DNU have the most attention.

I can say from experience that metal complexes are really exciting because you never know what you will end up with. The character can differ radically between different oxidizers and metals on the same ligand.

[Edited on 28-4-2024 by Hey Buddy]

Go To Top