Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pepper grinder and magnesium?
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 11:10
Pepper grinder and magnesium?

If i stuck some magnesium turnings in a pepper grinder would i be able to get some magnesium powder out of that? probably not very fine but i'm just thinking more proof-of-concept.

....or would i destroy the grinding surfaces instead?
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 11:19

...well probably not too many people have even tried this, I sure haven't.
Just give it a go :P

I am going to say it won't work, at least not very well and not for long.
Seems like a magnesium block and a file would be better

[Edited on 15-4-2011 by Magic Muzzlet]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 11:31

I doubt Mg would abrade the grinding surface that much since its so light. It might go off in a blinding white flash though

Filing a Mg block is a pain in the ass :( Using the drill press gives a ton of fine ribbons, but is also kind of a pain and wastes half the block. Maybe grind the ribbons up?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 21:42

Mg as a pure metal is pretty soft. I'd be slightly worried Mg wouldn't fracture cleanly and may just lodge or kind of smear in the mechansim.

Magnesium/aluminum alloy is much more brittle, and could possibly work. I know meat grinders work for some period of time. Even with a coffee grinder Mg wont become fine enough for pyro purposes, and the small increase in surface area wont do much for chemical reactions.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 08:58

Presuming you have access, what's wrong with using a lathe or a mill and then grinding those turnings up?

I suppose one could ball mill the turnings in argon or in mineral oil (and then rinse it off with hexanes). How active does it need to be?

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 10:02

I'm just first curious if it'll even be possible to do, or if the magnesium might jam/grind/lodge/clog/break/or-otherwise-do-something-weird-and-create-blackholes-that-destroy-humanity.

The "turnings" i have in particular are quite large (>1cm in length). Even getting them down to 1mm would be huge improvement for my chemistry.... for one, they would be easier to get into the apparatus. :)

Ultimately, I will be the judge if the end-product is useful or not.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 10:10

Home made Mg powder would be nice. I had a terrible time trying to even buy turnings in Canada.

Hopefully the drill press ribbons work for the Potassium experiment

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 14:37

Magesium metal is nearly as hard as aluminum (around Mohs 2.5).

However, magnesium-alumnium alloys are very brittle and can be hammered into a fine powder. Interestingly, the alloy can be made by melting the two metals in a steel can using only a butane torch:
http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/pro/magnalium.html

This alloy powder, known as "magnalium", has several of the advantages over either of its component metals. Magnalium powder is more reactive than aluminum, while very fine mesh particle sizes are much more resistant to corrosion/degredation from air and moisture than similar mesh size magnesium powder would be.

[Edited on 16-4-2011 by AndersHoveland]
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 16:04

Well, if this is for chemistry and not pyro, I found that simply grinding my large turnings (like yours 1cm or more) with a mortar and pestle, makes the magnesium very active. The particle size doesn't change much, but again, it is very active. I think the abrasion removes some of the surface oxides.

Before this treatment, the magnesium dissolves only very slowly in MeOH (not particularly dry) even with the addition of some ethyl bromide. After doing this, it dissolves rapidly in the methanol without any additives. If this is for your experiments with potassium, you should certainly try this.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 16:34

a already make 150mesh magnesium powder for making boron , i use an electric motor with very coars corundum paper on the axe , i made a ramp for the magnesium round and with a setup that take 1cubic feet i grind about 30g per day.

I never asked for this.

Go To Top