Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: crown cork bottles
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 01:43
crown cork bottles

I'm not using the right methods or search engine to find less common sized crown cork bottles. Sometimes I make something that I don't want to drink all 355mL at once. I've seen 200mL bottles, but not very often around here. Any good leads on smaller crown corkable containers on the yankee side of the pond?
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 15:54

Are you making like a 10% beer? Why not get a swing-stopper bottle so you can re close it.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 17:21

Canada dry tonic water bottles, 8oz. Glass; corkabale w/ the right sized cork (although the cap can take significant positive pressure as is).

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 01:37

@mr.crow, actually melomel concentrated by freezing. The grolsch bottles don't fit inside the case with the rest of my home-brew.

@smuv , thanks for the tip. A bit larger than I'm hoping for, but it sounds like they'll be easier to find than the 6.8oz bottles I'd seen so few of.

I'm crazy enough to entertain the thought of chucking a 3/4" pipe on a lathe to cut the lip, and TIG welding a plug in the bottom for a crown-corkable vial. Then again, another voice tells me this project will never be complete like so many others.
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 05:14

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Are you making like a 10% beer? Why not get a swing-stopper bottle so you can re close it.

Years ago, I tried to bottle some of my home brew stuff in swing-tops, and no matter how hard I tried to sterilize the bottles, tops and rubber rings with food-grade bleach (the pink stuff), about half of my bottles turned-out bad... versus 100% of the regular twist-cap bottles who turned out good. Mind you, I never bottled anything above 6.5% alc.

So as much as I love to look at beautiful swing-top bottles of imported beer, I've had enough bad experiences (and mopping-up sticky messes ar 3 AM in the morning when the damn bottles go into cascade failure) to put swing-top bottles on my no-no list.

Plus bottling 120 bottles of beer in an afternoon with the hand-cranked capping machine is pretty good cardio workout! LOL!!

As for unusual-sized crown caps, I must admit that i've never seen those anywhere. The crown caps I use are universal type that fit as well on a bottle of corona or Heineken as they do on a twist-cap Molson or Labatt bottle. The only thing i adjust is the height of the capper depending on the bottles used and the seal is perfect 100% of the time... okay maybe 99% ;)

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
food
Hazard to Self

Mood: mithering

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 06:47

I've used a puny little Corona bottle in the past. They market them as Coronita. They is not very big.

I use the swing top bottles pretty much exclusively. Although I don't always mention it, my brew supply guy may not want to hear this, I haven't sanitized a bottle in years now. After I finish a beer I seal it until it is washed to avoid dried on 'material'. It's washed with scalding water; I wear heavier rubber gloves. I generally give the gasket a rotate while I have it under the water. After washing and after the bottles have sat for a bit, they're given a firm flick downward to evacuate as much remaining water as possible.

It's been many batches (I don't even remember) since I had an off beer. Pre-Edit: not correct to say 'I haven't sanitized' I suppose. I am sanitizing, just with water though.

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 08:50

So mixed results for the swing stoppers.

Fruli also come in a little bottle. If you don't mind feeling like a girl buying them that is. Maybe a restaurant or bar can give you a bunch of little bottles? Im guessing you need like 100 of them

A machined metal bottle would be badass!

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
food
Hazard to Self

Mood: mithering

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 11:13

The last swing stopper bottles that I picked up were 1500ml Grolsch bottles. Each containing more than a six packs worth of the tiny Coronitas. That'll speed up your bottling.

I made some melomel a couple of years ago with local blackberries. Mine turned out a little lack lustre. So far. The honey that I used was donated and had been stored for a long time; it was certainly sweet and not off, but may have lost some more ephemeral components. I don't have that much experience fermenting honey.

ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2011 at 18:51

@Arthur Dent, I haven't seen any off size crown corks either- I'm using the common size. I'm just looking for undersized bottles. And for what it's worth, I've only sealed a few screw cap bottles, by accident. I prefer pop-top.

@food, thanks for the tip. I looked into that and if they're available locally, they'll probably work just fine.

I made a blackberry melomel too- similar product. I've had good results with raspberry on raspberry honey though. I also make a fair blueberry, but the fruit part tasted a little thin. The other favorite is spiced cyser (harder cider, qualifies as a melomel and metheglin except that it already has a name)

@mr.crow, I didn't see much data on fruli but I didn't look very far just yet. Yes, it would! I wouldn't even try to make a bottle, but a vial of sorts. It could double as a means of storing skinny cigars too.

Go To Top