Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with academic interests + programs.
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 13-5-2011 at 07:05
Help with academic interests + programs.

[should probably go into biochem section, but figured it can be more general than that]
Hey all.

This will be far fetched but I'm running out of ideas for grad school. I'm finding myself more and more nullified by my current major; chemistry!

I have a strong interest in the USE of chemistry, but most fields of study are quite boring to me. I don't really "get into" a-symmetrical synthesis, or energetic materials, or really any of that, but I do love the idea of making my own medicines & tinctures. (I like being independent)

But I'm going to grad school and want ANY opinions at all! Really, anything...

Right now I'm in a polymers lab and I'm not retaining a god damn thing because 1. the synthesis is too simple, and 2. the end result has nothing to do with me. I don't care about plastics!

I really want to get into plant pathology. I would love to learn about how to maximize alkaloid, sugar, medicinal content in plants. But then I don't have the background of biology or biochemistry to apply for that (And summer reading won't let me get in there - I need literally another 2 years of biochem - not happening.)

SoOoOoOooooooo... I guess what I'm getting at here, is does anyone have recommendations for reading about biochem other than hardcore textbooks. What is the best journal site for biochemistry studies?

To be blunt it would be fun to look at maximizing piperonal, ergo-alkaloids, nootropics from things like ginkgo biloba (debateable if they work), neem oil, growth steroids for plants (from willow trees), etc...

I know the ergo-stuff is probably everywhere but I don't want to start there. . .

I'd like to start with something innocent, but useful.

I want to find a way to incorporate my use of chemistry into plant pathology and natural product production. Things like the fact that aspirin makes plants healthier is so awesome.

Ok thanks goys.

Go To Top