Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water sources
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 18-5-2011 at 20:53
Water sources

Hmmm I win lamest thread award.

I'm having trouble finding DI water. A while back It was all you could get, that or RO water but now it's all "Spring fed" water and the option to get water via RO from the machines sitting in the grocery stores (which used to be distilling rigs not RO grrr).

What I am wondering is if water purified by Reverse Osmosis able to be on the same playing field as distilled/deionized water. This seems like a simple question/simple answer situation but I haven't found a good answer yet.
bobm4360
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-5-2011 at 21:26

Try the laundry soap section. Distilled water is/was sold for use in steam irons.

Regards,
Bob
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2011 at 17:04

I am always able to find 4L jugs of steam distilled or DI H2O at my local pharmacy (Shoppers Drugmart) for about 2$
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2011 at 12:03

Try an auto parts store - 'battery water'. If you're in the US, it's sold at Walmart (in the beer/wine aisle) hehe. Some grocery stores and pharmacies stock 'baby water' which, IIRC, is DH2O.

Tank
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 21-5-2011 at 14:48

Many use RO, including my employer.

I installed RO at home a long time ago, very sick of buying gallons of distilled water, especially when the prices were raised after people started paying insane, previously UNTHINKABLE amounts of money for water.

The Whirlpool WHER25 was bought when Lowe's started selling it. The water is hard here, tests just now at 300 ppm, but it can get higher, and I have seen the pH at 8.5 from chloramine especially in the winter. The manual was not encouraging for water this fucked up, but it tested at 4 ppm years ago, and without a filter change (not used for drinking though, probably 100 gallons through it now) it just now tested at 11 ppm.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2011 at 16:57

Thank you all. I did find distilled water, on sale no less, in the local shoppers.
Out of curiosity S.C Wack, why were people paying so much? Was it a health fade or an inexplicable phenomena?

For a while it became almost impossible to buy bottled water that was anything but distilled or RO, and then it switched back to being all spring sourced water, or at least re-salinized water. The whims of the public...

Does anyone operate their own water sill?

Go To Top