Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: University Suggestions
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 07:28
University Suggestions

I'm in the US. I want to major in synthetic organic chemistry, or synthetic green chemistry. Though I'm having a hard time finding a school, or rather the right school. Most out of state tuitions are in the 5 digits for out of state schools.

So I'm looking for somewhere that is affordable for out of state, that offers a program like the ones above, and preferably small. I don't know if this belongs in this part of the forum, but I would really appreciate some suggestions either on specific schools or, just how to find a school in general. Google searches have been less than helpful.

[Edited on 30-5-2011 by smaerd]
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 08:43

In Kanuckland, there's http://www.chemistry.mcgill.ca/

I don't know about their programs, but i'm sure they could probably offer something at a price you could afford... and they have a solid, established reputation.
Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 09:21

What's wrong with an instate school? Or for that matter, an instate state school? How much are you willing to spend/yr for tuition and room & board?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
In Kanuckland, there's http://www.chemistry.mcgill.ca/

I don't know about their programs, but i'm sure they could probably offer something at a price you could afford... and they have a solid, established reputation.
Robert

But then you have to go to Quebec! Kidding, haha

My cousin goes there for chem eng

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 10:16

Are you talking about undergrad? the green/synthetic organic specializations come later. Just go into chemistry. Only for graduate school do things like this have any real meaning.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 10:19
Why travel...

My wife and I, as well as lots of friends; have discussed this at length recently. Living in Asia, we see the Asian parents focus. Which is sort of the "Prada approach". Go for the biggest name you can. No worry if you have no idea what the school's like, if it's right for your child's major, etc. By god they heard Harvard, or Yale, or... is the best so that's where their kids has to go. My son is going to be in 6th grade next year. He needs to go to another school, his only goes through 5th grade (actually Y6, it's British). The other schools that came and pitched the parents actually mentioned how their school could lead to a kid eventually going to Oxford, Harvard, whatever. It was absurd!

Back on track. The main thing is you learn and get good grades

Anyway, best of luck!doing it. Enjoying yourself is nice too. Our basic thought is you can always "upgrade" in grad school. And to do anything in chemistry you certainly need a grad degree. The alternative is to get into a highly competitive undergrad program (assuming you can), pay a lot more, work your ass off against lots of smart peers; then go to a good grad school. Assuming you can get sufficiently god grades in that environment. So I'd recommend a small state school. You get much more attention, it's cheaper, and it's easier to get good grades. You'll probably enjoy it more. Or if you go to a large state school, think about taking your 1st couple of years of math and science at a community college if possible. Once again, you get smaller class sizes, more personal attention, etc.

My wife took the latter approach. She went to a big state uni (more than 40,000) and took all the math, physics, and chem she could at the community college. Then did well at her upper level courses. Which then led to her getting a MS at Stanford. And when it comes to interview time even though she had 5 years at ASU and just four qtrs at Stanford; she interviews (and is thought of) as a Stanford grad.

Do what you like. I did the organic synth emphasis as an undergrad and it was great. And do all you can to set yourself to succeed down the line. Which, sad as it sounds; means getting the best grades that you can as an undergrad. Then comes getting to know (actually getting the prof to know you) a prof so you can do some independent research, study; whatever your school calls it. Undergrad is nose to the grindstone, get the grades; if you're ultimately headed towards grad school.

In all fairness I should mention the grad school thing isn't what it was. Currently the demographics are all against you. 40+ years of professors graduating PhD's who then want to be professors; who then start spawning their own pool of PhD's; who repeat; repeat... The science world is now glutted with PhDs, with more coming in from China, India, etc. I read that around 1980 the average age of a professor when he gets his 1st grant was 27. Now it's over 40. Last year, Princeton I think; hired eight particle physicists for postdoc positions. In the whole US only seven got hired on tenure tracks. I don't want to rain on your parade, but be aware things are not as good as they used to be if you want to go the "purely academic" route. If you just want the knowledge, and plan on working at something else; then that could be a good path. It's what I ended p doing; though not as a plan ;)
smaerd
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 11:58

Some very good posts here I really appreciate the advice. So I should just go chemistry in general for my under grad(currently at a run of the mill community college for math/physics/basic chem). I should probably stay in state then and transfer after, but for my grad school I'll worry about where to go based then on what I'd like to research? :) makes sense.

I get okay grades mostly A's and B's, and try to develop good relationships with my professors by showing interest and paying attention in class. Hopefully that carries on to the school I transfer too :). I might not go for a PhD but at least a masters certainly. Honestly if I found a cool company/university to even be a lab tech for I would be satisfied.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Edit wow the link you posted arthur looks really interesting I will have to keep that school in mind. I wish their catalysis program had an emphasis on electrochemistry though. Electrochem really fascinates me :).

[Edited on 30-5-2011 by smaerd]
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 12:21

Affordable? "Out of state" ?

How about Norway? :D Tuition fee is <100$ per semester, and NTNU is a leading university in technological research. Seriously, I recommend taking a semester in another country - it's something you'll remember for the rest of your life, and will make you attractive in the job market later on. I may be a little biased, but I really recommend Norway and NTNU. ;)

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
smaerd
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 13:22

wow I had no idea, is it really <100$ for someone coming from over seas? Wouldn't the classes be taught in norwegian?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 14:00

It's free for everyone, except for the "semester fee" which is about 500 NOK (~80 USD) per semester. Books, housing, food etc. has to be paid for by yourself.

NTNU offers a wide range of subjects taught in English (just looking over it quickly I see that "Organic Synthesis, advanced course" is) and even offer a master's degree in chemical engineering entirely in English. Some classes would most likely be taught in Norwegian, but if you plan to stay here for a year you have to learn the language anyways! :D NTNU offers free courses in Norwegian for the exchange students as well.
I'd advise you to consider taking your 3rd or 4th year in Norway. I'll buy you a beer. ;)

I also have to say that Trondheim is a very nice, small city. It's absolutely beautiful, something you have to see!

Feel free to U2U me or continue asking in this thread if you have any questions about NTNU or Norway in general!

Oh, and make sure to check out www.ntnu.edu - there's a lot of information there.

[Edited on 30-5-2011 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
smaerd
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2011 at 21:35

I'll have to consider this :)!

Don't know if I exactly have the funds to make it happen but I'm open to any ideas. Even if it was a semester it sounds like an awesome experience.

Go To Top