Author: Subject: Lab rats.
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 14:18

Quote: Originally posted by digitalemu  

Where do real labs buy lab rats from?

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by digitalemu]

At least to say something on topic, here are a couple sources...

Jackson Laboratories

The Knock-out Mouse Project

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 13-1-2012 at 03:05

Quote: Originally posted by fledarmus  
This is another social issue with a very wide field of beliefs and a constantly changing view of what is considered ethical or acceptable. The beliefs are as diverse as "animals are people too", in which case it is perfectle acceptable to injure or even kill people to prevent injury to animals, to "all things were put on the earth for our benefit, but we must care for it" under which philosophy eating meat and testing drugs on animals are perfectly acceptable as long as we try to be humane about the ways we treat them, to "nothing is more important than a human life" which justifies any testing that might potentially be useful, to "it's my livelihood", which justifies wholesale slaughter of predator species and pests, to "what the heck, it's only an animal" which justifies... well, almost anything. At one time, any predator capable of taking down even a relatively young or ill person was hunted to extinction anywhere that humans lived, and that was acceptable behavior. Now, large sections of desirable real estate with harvestable resources are declared off limits for development due to the presence of a small population of relatively obscure animals.

The question "why would we get so upset about ____ when we still ____" applied to anything in this discussion is a completely useless discussion. The groups of similar minded people on any particular topic are so diverse that even the concept of "we" isn't particularly helpful.

yes and thats where the conundrum aries, especially for people of a scientific training, we are invariably problem solver type personalities. One cannot divest oneself from the remainder of ones society and be credible. 'we' is essential, its just unresolvable in this case.
I was not attempting to pretend that anything would come of my description, i was just describing the stalemate and how shit it is, but hey, so fucking what (sfw, did anyone ever see that film?)

[Edited on 13-1-2012 by Panache]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top