Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: A good idea...
This is a good idea. I would help. --- 15 (53.57%)
This will never work. --- 13 (46.43%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A good idea...
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 10:59

no but dammit they should! i for one would love to see what all the fuss is about.

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 11:01

I do no think that we make anything vital to the national security of the US but hkparker , you should vote on the poll that I have juste made.

I never asked for this.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 11:17

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
When the government researches things, do they just let the whole world into area 51 to see what's going on?

Oh, boy!
++++++++++++++

In the context of your analogy, I equate SciMad to the city park. I don't own it (OK, I own 2 ppm of it) but I'm free to use it, keeping within posted regulations.

I don't have any aliens in my attic nor any wrecked UFOs in my back yard. (I swear)

Tank
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 11:36

In response to your poll, pante1999

Keeping everything open is exactly what SM is, so in effect that would be another sciencemadness.

Keeping it read-only to people who are not part of the project makes sense, but still, dont we get more done by keeping things open here? If you want to see formal papers written by SM members check out the republications section.

I think everyone has made it clear keeping everything closed is a bad idea.

Basically, starting another forum is unnecessary and will give you slower results. Post your ideas on SM, if you want to write a formal paper on it do so, talk to individual member if you would like their help, and write a republication.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 12:14

also, how many times has there been a block on the progress of a project only to have that obstacle overcome by someone who is keeping track of a project but has no involvement. if those people with insight are barred from contributing, a project may stall with no sight of completion. and if those same people are forced to wait for the convenience of someone else in order to share their knowledge, it may be a source of frustration. also, the exposure here is far greater than any new site can expect for years to come.

LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 14:33

Science research should not have to be secret. It just has to be more accurate than normal forum talk. In the proposed AROchem or "Research" section, only experts on a subject are entitled to provide sources and accurately done experiments to back up a reasonable hypothesis; you know, the typical scientific method. Here, questions are answered and opinions are given.

hibernating...
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 17:16

Another good example of good research by the TS. Haha!
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15813#...

Not to mention your website showing a Tupperware container with the bottom covered in TCAP. BTW, how would that fire extinguisher help you when you go to scoop a little more out with that wooden stick and the whole lot blows your head off? You claimed to be an intermediate level chemist I believe?

I am not trying to be a 'character assassin" but come on man. Are you serious?

[Edited on 26-6-2011 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2011 at 02:41

For the question about hydrides, opening a pyrophoric NiMH battery is the best way.

hibernating...
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2011 at 19:45

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
I am not trying to be a 'character assassin" but come on man. Are you serious?

I don't think any of us are trying to be rude, just realistic. And realistically this project will not work well, in our opinions.

Watched the TATP video... wow, for all the warning about safety on your website you should be more careful...

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 27-6-2011 at 11:15

I welcome anyone who has the opportunity and discipline to research a topic and share their findings here. Better yet if more than one person does it at the same time! But the critical ingredients are opportunity (sufficient apparatus, reagents, and time) and discipline (following through with ideas, not giving up on the first setback, not jumping to conclusions not yet supported by data). Building a new subforum that serves as an electronic secret clubhouse isn't going to help. In fact, focusing on organization, membership, and control is likely to mean that people spend more time on social jockeying and less on research.

Len has been a leader in research here not because he is good at organizing committees but because he went into the lab on his own, and optimized and documented processes that were widely known but not well-developed for amateurs. Klute, Magpie, Rogeryermaw, Rosco Bodine, Fleaker, Woelen, garage chemist, and many others I'm forgetting have likewise gone into the lab and shared the results of their experimentation. As for having a forum to collaborate, well that's what all of SM is for! If you just want to write notes to yourself you can do it without an internet connection. If you are writing here, you are writing for an audience.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top