Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Weapon's chemicals from sunken ships in sand
Seawriter
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 10:14
Weapon's chemicals from sunken ships in sand

I am writing a story and am looking at how chemicals from artillery weapons from a sunken WWII ship in close proximity to an island might show up in that island, or a chain of island's, sand.

The idea is a ship, up current from an island, would leave traces of chemicals down stream for a certain distance. Diluting the chemical stream out as the distance became greater. Therefore sand nearest to the sunken ship would show signs of chemical contamination, even 70 years later, as would be the case with WWII warships.

The location would be near the Philippines.

I have done some research and possibly tabun and phosgene from rusted out artillery would be an example.

Any ideas on this or where to go for further research?
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 13:31

Phosgene wouldn't be a good chemical to write about, because it reacts quickly with water to form CO2 and HCl, which are no big deal in terms of environmental impact. I don't know much about tabun, but looking at its structure I would assume it would hydrolize (react) with water at a reasonable rate.

In essence, you need to not only consider the proximity of the ship to the shore, but also determine what the lifetime of the chemical being released into the sea water is. I don't know where you are going to go with this, but it is a complex issue with a HUGE number of variables. I fear that unless you take the route of unscientific sensationalism it will be hard for someone without a firm scientific background and access to a lab to come up with anything worthwhile.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 14:49

Quote:
I am writing a story and am looking at how chemicals from artillery weapons from a sunken WWII ship in close proximity to an island might show up in that island, or a chain of island's, sand.

Contamination from shells containing, say, Japanese secret chemical agents for 'trial in the field', as it were . . . ?
Artistic license?

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 15:16

An quick idea, focus on the brass shells themselves. Brass contains copper. In sea water, I will guess the possible creation of Copper Oxygen Chloride, a fungicide. In general, many Cu salts are seriously toxic to lower organisms (you will need to research the particulars of this as it relates to marine life and coral reefs and the like).

So how do you measure the impact? I was thinking of the same way after many years one can detect a comparative reduction in vegetation, or in our case, fish, plant or coral growth, etc.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2011 at 15:41

look up "Sable Island" and mustard gas. Much of the coast line around Nova Scotia has hidden troves of dumped munitions/gasses from americain/canadian navies post world wars. Lots of info available.

Go To Top