Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pH dependent color of chemical compound.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 04:05
pH dependent color of chemical compound.

Anyone knows a chemical compound (preferably soluble in water) that change color according to the pH (preferably something that is not in the list of usual pH indicators)?

Thank you in advance.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 05:18

Without knowing the usual list, red cabbage extract works good for most purposes although it's rather easily bleached.

Tank
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 05:24

What do you think of as "list of usual pH indicators"?
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 05:33

What are you trying to do? If you want something that will change color(s) continuously from pH 0 up through pH 14, then you need some sort of mix of indicators (presumably commercial, synthesizing all of them yourself would be a tall order). If you want something that will give you an indication of when a particular pH is passed, then it would really help to know what that point is. There are actually quite a number of common organic substances that provide a red/blue color change at some pH not too far from neutral - red cabbage extract as m1tanker mentions is one example; I have posted in the biochemistry section, here, about a mulberry pH indicator; there are others, indeed any red/purple berry juice is more likely than not to undergo some such color change...
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 06:27

Usual pH indicators:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH_indicator#Application

I need it for a school project, it would suite even if the reaction is not reversible or the compound is impractical as an indicator.
On a similar note, I know that there are various metal ions that their species in solutions (type of ligand) depends on the pH, although I don't know how to check what species I got without checking the pH and appropriate data sources.

Go To Top