Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: things to do with copper carbonate?
ryan0713
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 04:08
things to do with copper carbonate?

Hey, guys

I recently made about 3 grams of copper carbonate and now I don't know what to do with it. Anybody have any ideas?
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 04:32

Heat it to decompose it to copper oxide and make thermite

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 04:32

Make other copper salts by reacting it with acids. Dissolve it in vinegar to make copper acetate, dissolve it in hydrochloric acid to make copper chloride, etc. You can also powder it with charcoal and heat to make copper metal, or just heat it to make copper oxide. Plenty of things.
bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 12:25

As suggested, dissolve it in HCl to form CuCl<sub>2</sub>, and then evaporate the solution. Once you have some crystals, dissolve them in alcohol and drip the alcohol/copper solution on some paper. When ignited, it will burn with a GORGEOUS bright blue flame (especially if there are a few dry crystals on the paper). This never ceases to amaze me!
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 14:19

adding vinegar and lead to make lead acetate was new for me and worked really fast. the blue disapeared and copper formed on the lead as the lead slowly disappeared also. thanks to ma boa plante1999 for teaching a new dog an old trick.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 18:08

As many copper compounds are highly toxic to lower organisms (like fungus, fish, pets, insects, etc.), try and dissolve in ammonia and use on some annoying bugs!

(Wear gloves/protect clothes to avoid ingestion through skin contact)

I remenber a post where someone installed a Brass fitting in their fish tank. Not cleaning the water regularly, the fishes via excrement introduced NH3 that reacted with the copper in the brass and then......

everything died - the fish, the plants, ....

attempts to clean proved difficult.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 18:39

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
As many copper compounds are highly toxic to lower organisms (like fungus, fish, pets, insects, etc
Got a reference for that assertion JOKER?

CuSO4 Root Killer is intended to be poured down drains and is licensed by the Environmental Protection Agency, not exactly known for a cavalier attitude about chemicals.

My lab once had a contract to study a particular pharmacological property of copper. We put copper into the drinking water bottles of the mice. Mice went feet up.

We then tried reducing the amount of copper in the drinking water and increasing the dose every week. The mice thrived on quite high levels of copper in their drinking water. I suspect it ain't as toxic as you think.

Nicodem is right. We should be requiring posters to cite references.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 02:02

What about toxicity to humans? Because I am now a bit afraid to work with Cu compounds, as they might be absorbed through the skin, or vapors can be inhaled, because it's slowly evaporating when I'm drying it. I was working with CuCO<sub>3</sub>, and I had it all over my fingers and under my nails. It also stinks. Is it bad?

Rest In Pieces!
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 06:28

It's not all that toxic. For starters, it's an essential mineral... you need small quantities of it (like about 1 milligram per day) and it occurs in various foods. It follows that your body has mechanisms for dealing with it... you don't need to worry about long term bioaccumulation as you would with many other metals. Not that you should eat copper compounds or go crazy painting yourself with copper-based pigments; but under normal usage and exposure it's not dangerous.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 06:36

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
As many copper compounds are highly toxic to lower organisms (like fungus, fish, pets, insects, etc
Got a reference for that assertion JOKER?

CuSO4 Root Killer is intended to be poured down drains and is licensed by the Environmental Protection Agency, not exactly known for a cavalier attitude about chemicals.

Well, it is used as an algaecide in fish tanks (and to treat some fish diseases). I've used it to treat coccidiosis in my chickens. It's been used as a wood preservative and also as an antifungal treatment (as part of Bordeaux powder). I think its toxicity to at least certain classes of microorganisms is pretty well established by its traditional uses. As for insects, pets and fish, though - I don't know that it's any more toxic to them than it would be to humans.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 06:51

Thank you, bbartlog! ;)

Rest In Pieces!
rstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Dark

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 08:39

Something to do with CuCO3, Hmmm....

Dissolve it in an organic acid solution. You may get a very dark blue organo-copper complex. Remember to evaporate the solution down to get their crystals.

How about tryin' Citiric acid solution, or just Lemonade ;)

"A tidy laboratory means a lazy chemist "
- Jöns Jacob Berzelius

Go To Top