Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: elemental magnesium from magnesium sulfate (epsom salts)
ryan0713
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2011 at 08:00
elemental magnesium from magnesium sulfate (epsom salts)

Is there a way to get pure magnesium from Epsom salts? I have lots of it and I wanted to get some pure magnesium.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2011 at 09:05

Ok, My guess would be Electrolysis of the Epsom salt. that would make sulfuric acid and Magnesium metal (just like electrolysis of copper sulfate making copper) but magnesium is a bit reactive in hot water, electrolysis produces heat, so the magnesium would turn into hydroxide and im just guessing but the new sulfuric acid will probly react with the magnesium hydroxide to form epsom salt again ><

MgSO4 + H2O = Mg + H2SO4

Mg + H2O = Mg(OH)2

Mg(OH)2 + H2SO4 = MgSO4 + H2O

you could react it it with sodium hydroxide to form magnesium hydroxide, dehydrate it to form magnesium oxide and then reduce it with lithium, this will make lithium oxide, disolve the oxide in COLD water and leave the Mg

MgSO4 + NaOH = Mg(OH)2 + NaSO4

Mg(OH)2 = MgO + H2O

Li + MgO = Li2O + Mg

Another method could be with the oxide, and heat it up with Carbon to form Magnesium and Carbon monoxide

MgO + C = Mg + CO

These are ALL guess's, none of these may be right but if i had a alot of each chemical, i wouldn't mind trying them out

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2011 at 09:11

You could react it with sodium carbonate to form magnesium carbonate, then dissolve that into Hydrochloric acid, then hydrolysis of that forms Magnesium

MgCl2 = Mg + Cl2

it said on Wikipedia, tho im guessing it would have to be molten Chloride because i dont think hydrolysis of the dry powder would work

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2011 at 09:58

Your second guess is correct, and it must be molten. Electrolyzing the solution will not work, hydrogen is produced instead of Mg. However, you probably need to purge the cell with inert gas of some sort or the Mg will oxidize. It's not worth it if you're not going to produce a lot of magnesium. If you just want magnesium, buy some firestarters from eBay, or get it from a supply company.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 25-9-2011 at 13:47

It is virtually impossible for anyone to make magnesium metal in their backyard.
Magnesium is a very reactive metal, and magnesium chloride has a high melting point.
The types of reactions that can be used to make sodium and potassium will not work, or are not practical, for making magnesium.

Industrially, magnesium is made by passing a strong electric current through molten magnesium chloride in an argon atmosphere. At these temperatures, magnesium would ignite with carbon dioxide or nitrogen, which is why argon needs to be used. Obviously there cannot be any water, as magnesium would react with it.

Perhaps some clever way to make magnesium in your basement could be thought of, but I have never heard of such a way.

[Edited on 25-9-2011 by AndersHoveland]
LanthanumK
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 09:15

Electrolysis of MgSO4 produces Mg(OH)2 at the cathode, along with H2.

hibernating...

Go To Top