Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Types of Glucose?
Takron
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 27-9-2011 at 12:36
Types of Glucose?

I was looking into purchasing some glucose to do some reduction experiments and to make some Tollens Reagent. But when I went to purchase some I got hit with a bit of a quandary. I was not aware there were different kinds of glucose?

There were three different kinds offered and non were mentioned in the processes of the reactions I wanted to do.

D-(+)-Glucose, anhydrous
D-(+)-Glucose monohydrate
L-(-)-Glucose, anhydrous

I know what the anhydrous and monohydrate means but what one would be best for using the the aforementioned reactions?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 13:00

Those must be reagent grade and are enantiomers. For a reducing sugar I would not waste my money on reagents, but instead just buy some fructose at the health food store. ;)

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 13:02

D or L nomenclature refers to the hydroxyl connected to the penultimate carbon in the chain. When laid out in a Fischer projection, this hydroxyl will be right (D) or left (L). The consequences are real as your enzymes can't work with L sugars. In general, in nature we see D-sugars and L-amino acids.

Despite the names, D = dextrorotatory or L = laevorotatory, the designation in no way predicts optical rotation. For example, D-glucose rotates light by about +53° and D-fructose by -92°. The designation was made originally for glyceraldehyde, for which it is accurate (eg. D = clockwise and L = counterclockwise). These must also not be confused with R or S designations.

L-glucose is just as reductive (the aldehyde group is the same) it's just VERY much more expensive (and completely unnecessary).

I'd go with the anhydrous D-form (to make everything simple and more compatable with organic solvents/reagents). As a simple reducing agent, the monohydrate is just as good, just be sure to account for the water to keep your stoichiometry straight.

When making aqueous solutions, be sure to stir rigorously and made small additions--otherwise, the anhydrous material will make a brick as it hydrates. Saturation at rt is ~50 g solids/100g (aq).

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Those must be reagent grade and are enantiomers. For a reducing sugar I would not waste my money on reagents, but instead just buy some fructose at the health food store. ;)

And what would you use the fructose for? It's not a reducing sugar. Glucose is cheap and works. I agree that buying reagent grade stuff would be a waste of money but fructose would be an even bigger waste
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 03:21

Glucose monohydrate is cheaply and readily available at most pharmacies, supermarkets and home brew shops.
It will be food or pharmacopia grade so will be pure enough for almoat all purposes. The monohydrate does not clump so much when added to water.

Go To Top