Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precipitating Rayon with Sodium Bisulfate
TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

Mood: Elastic

[*] posted on 28-10-2011 at 18:01
Precipitating Rayon with Sodium Bisulfate

I made some schweizer's reagent which I used to dissolve some cellulose from some paper and cotton balls. Since you use an Acid to precipitate out the rayon (eg. Sulfuric Acid) would it be possible to use an acid salt like Sodium Bisulfate Since it has a very low PH?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNaKLaBScience

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway" - Mary Kay Ash
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2011 at 05:53

The bisulphate should work.
TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-10-2011 at 15:04

I tried precipitating the schweizer's reagent (with celulose) in the Sodium bisulfate, but nothing happened? Does the solution need to be really acidic or just mildly?

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway" - Mary Kay Ash
Takron
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2011 at 22:55

Quote: Originally posted by TheNaKLaB  
I tried precipitating the schweizer's reagent (with celulose) in the Sodium bisulfate, but nothing happened? Does the solution need to be really acidic or just mildly?

How long did you let it sit? Rayon production as I've seen, takes weeks to get a proper yield. Depending on how long you waited, you may not have had much of anything to precipitate yet. I thought heating might increase the speed of the complex formation but I have not tried that.

Plus I have seen the acids, to make rayon precipitate out of solution, are very picky.
TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 03:09

I left the Schweizers reagent with the cellulose react for about 2 months. I still yet have to experiment a little more to see if I can get different results with different concentrations of Sodium Bisulfate.

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 06:07

Was the reagent sealed and protected from the atmosphere? Have you weighed the cellulose source to determine if you actually dissolved any?

Edit:

Quote:

SCHWEIZER'S REAGENT AND " EAU CELESTE."' By H. Baubigny." Eau celeste" is obtained by dissolving copper salts in ammonia, and contains salts of the type CuSO4,4NHS -f- H2O. Schweizer's reagent is prepared by treating cupric hydroxide with ammonia, and contains the base CuO,4NHs -}- 4H2O, isolated by Malaguti and Sarzeau. Both solutions deposit cupric hydroxide when largely diluted. "Eau celeste," contains salts of the base which exists in the free state in Schweizer's reagent. It follows that solutions of basic cupric salts should behave as mixtures of " eau celeste" and Schweizer's reagent, and this is found to be the case. Such solutions dissolve cellulose more readily the more basic the salt. Conversely, the addition of an ammonium salt to Schweizer's reagent partially converts it into "eau celeste," and if the former has previously been saturated with cellulose, the cellulose is precipitated as the ammonium salt is added. This change is produced by ammonium carbonate and by carbonic anhydride, and it follows, therefore, that when Schweizer's reagent is exposed to the air it will form cuprammonium carbonate, and will eventually be converted into "eau celeste."The old method of preparing Schweizer's reagent by dissolving copper in ammonia in presence of air, is defective, since it does not avoid the presence of carbonic anhydride, and hence gives a product •with diminished solvent powers. Potassium sulphate and sodium chloride are not decomposed by ammonia nor by the cuprammonium base, and therefore they do not affect the properties of Schweizer's reagent. The addition of potassium or sodium hydroxide to "eau celeste" produces a liquid which is capable of dissolving cellulose.The best method of preparing Schweizer's reagent is to precipitate a solution of copper sulphate with the calculated quantity of soda and dissolve the hydroxide in ammonia.There can be little doubt that the Schweizer's reagent distributed over vines, as a preventative of mildew, will be rapidly transformed into " eau celeste," which is the actual preservative. The more easily p r i ; " eau celeste" can, therefore, be used for this puq>ose instead of the Schweizer's reagent.1 Compt. rend, civ, 1616-1618.—Reprinted from Jour. Client. Soc., Sept. 1887.

From http://books.google.ca/books?pg=PA507&lpg=PA507&sig=...

[Edited on 30-10-2011 by Neil]

Go To Top