Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eggs down car air vent
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 03:05
Eggs down car air vent

Around Halloween some unruly kids eggs cars in our neighbourhood (mine included).

My car had an egg on its front windscreen and some ran down the air intake vents for the air conditioning. I've scrubbed away all that I could get at with a stiff brush and vinegar followed by dishwashing liquid but there is still a smell of raw egg when I turn the air conditioning or heating on.

Is there a chemical remedy to get rid of the smell and preferably fully decompose the egg, whilst still not damaging the car or being toxic to me, that I can pour/spray into the air intake vents?

Also my window was slightly open and the kids got some egg onto the car upholstery. I've wiped it off but there are still stains on the felt. Recommendations on how to get rid of this are welcome too.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 07:15

Try putting some cat litter, oil absorbent, bentonite clay pellets on the soiled spot. Moisten the spot first, and after you have covered the stain with the cat litter stuff, moisten it with a spray bottle. Let it sit undisturbed until dry, then use a vacuum cleaner and a brush. You might have to repeat, as the egg acts as a glue. The clay based cat litter /oil absorbent is actually very good at pulling stains and oily residue out of things. It will pull motor oil stains out of concrete. The concrete will actually wet with water after an effective cleaning with this stuff. There seems to be a connection with wetting and drying with water that actually helps draw the oil into the clay, as just putting it on dry isn't as effective.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how it will work on eggs.
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 14:40

Maybe Windex?

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 17:08

For the air conditioning intake... the only option I would feel confident using would be letting the AC run until the egg crap eventually dries out and stops smelling? Then invest in a scented pine tree thing... Asshole kids
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 18:10

Perhaps H2O2 and Sodium Bicarbonate to oxidize the thiols.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 20:38

Trade up on a new car before it starts to smell.
People say H2S smells like rotten eggs: well I've smelt rotten eggs and they are far, far worse, and bear only a vague resemblance to H2S.

[Edited on 10-11-2011 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top