Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Nitrate salt synthesis
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 17:29

I just tried using topsoil, it didn't work.
1-2 kgs of soil(sandy) was put in a giant bottle
.Water is poured in.
It is left to precipate, then filtered. The filtered liquid looks brownish
.Na2CO3 is added to the liquid.
There's no precipate though. and addition of sodium bisulfate proves that Na2CO3 has not reacted with the filtered off liquid. the liquid turned a darker brown, almost red, though.
Maybe my garden's just too sandy? Or this requires tons of soil?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 18:05

5 gal bucket worth works fine. Remember potassium carbonate is used for metathesis to aid in separation of the nitrate salt later in the process by taking advantage of solubility differences in a water alcohol solution, IIRC.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 18:08

Ok, I guess more top soil then. And instead of sodium carbonate, this time I'm going to use potassium carbonate.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 18:14

Are you boiling the filtered solution down and adding alcohol (IPA, EtOH) This will precipitate many of the non target salts and leave most of the potassium nitrate in the solution. Evaporate, collect dirty crystals, weigh and recrystalize from dist water or a mixed solvent.

[Edited on 22-1-2012 by Bot0nist]

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 19:03

Filtered solution with addition of K2CO3 or without?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  
Get out? How do I get out of Australia when I'm only 13? I might be able to go to a university in a different country, but for now, I will only be able to experiment with whatever chemical is here right now.

Anyway, I am trying the topsoil idea (dissolving topsoil in water, filter out precipate, add K2CO3/Na2CO3. I might make some nitrate with this method.
This idea is less likely to work than the neon sign transformer. Maybe you should get over your fixation on nitrates and work with whatever chemicals are available to you instead.

A number of people have said that HNO3 is sold by hydroponics suppliers. When I search in the au domain for "nitric" and "hydroponics" there are a lot of hits. Maybe you should try that.

[Edited on 22-1-2012 by entropy51]
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 21:32

I Googled "hydroponic supplier in Perth. Surprisingly, one is just walking distance to my house! Also, I am not fixated, I just want to look around and see if I can get it, because it's pretty useful. And I will work with whatever chemical is available to me, because I have no other choice.

Thanks for helping!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 01:00

Quote:
Get out? How do I get out of Australia when I'm only 13?

That young?
Why not just forget about the nitrates for now (I assume explosives synthesis is your ultimate goal), and get concentrating on checking out the (un)fair sex?
I'm told them W/A sheilas are pure dynamite!
At thirteen, I know could think of little else ─ girls, that is; dynamite though was a distant glint in the eye, too!
And I've posted this link because sure, aren't most of ye Irish anyway!

P
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 04:41

Quote: Originally posted by Pulverulescent  
Quote:

That young?
Why not just forget about the nitrates for now (I assume explosives synthesis is your ultimate goal), and get concentrating on checking out the (un)fair sex?
At thirteen, I know could think of little else ─ girls, that is; dynamite though was a distant glint in the eye, too!

P

Really, man? I wrote that I will never indulge in high explosives like nitroglycerin or dynamite, which is just nitroglycerin with a plasticizer. I wrote what I ultimately need the nitric acid for (aqua regia gold plating) and I wrote I'm not using it for pyrotechnics. Also, finding girls is too hard, so I'll stay with chemistry for a while. And if I want to really concentrate on dating, I'll have to ditch chemistry, reading, fishing, chess, and all the hobbies that I have and watch romance movies instead. Not a good way to spend my leisure time.

I don't get the link you've posted. Who's Dylan Moran?

[Edited on 22-1-2012 by weiming1998]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 06:36

i should have looked at your age when i sent you that ghetto synthesis video. be careful because i can assure you that everybody who's made nitric has smelled it and if you can smell it,it can get you.by the time you come up with something even close to a nitrate, you will have gone through very lengthy processes and will have inhaled all sorts of fumes.you have been given lots of info in this post alone, if girls are hard to get now it will be harder if you're wheezing and eating ibuproden at your junior senior dance.gold chloride is way too acidic to plate with and the guy on youtube shown making it for plating stops short of showing exactly how he does it. i'm surprised you havent distilled gun powder with battery acid. have a long life kid and go to church today.

[Edited on 22-1-2012 by cyanureeves]

[Edited on 22-1-2012 by cyanureeves]
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 07:54

If I cannot get nitrate fertilizers, then where the hell am I going to get gunpowder?
And yes, I have smelled various gases, some poisonous, like chlorine, sulfur dioxide (not that bad but makes your nose feel like I have snorted up sulfuric acid) and hydrogen sulfide (in small amounts, still stinks nonetheless). The nitrate is not the thing that makes the smell, but the nitrogen dioxide liberated when you try to heat nitric acid. I know that nitrogen dioxide is poisonous, so when I try to distil nitric acid, it will be in a closed container. I will not try to dissolve copper in nitric acid inside also. At least nitrogen dioxide is easier to see than chlorine, which is a very light colour in air, or hydrogen sulfide, which is colourless. Auric chloride is not too acidic. I can make a soln of it, connect a carbon rod to the anode and one to the cathode, electrolyze, then take out the one with gold plated on top and place a different carbon rod on the anode this time. Now there is two gold plated carbon rods, which works for most applications. A copper cathode and anode will suffice as well.

Anyway, I generally don't worry about girls right now, as there is so much to do and study, rather than to waste life away by looking at dates. I don't go to church because I'm not religious and does not believe in a god.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 13:54

Quote:

That young?

P

come on now ! i wish i had internet when i first got into chemistry and science..
now you have a young man interested in science (rare occurence) and you basically tell him to go watch TV and chase girls...
not cool bro

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 16:41

. I wrote what I ultimately need the nitric acid for (aqua regia gold plating) and I wrote I'm not using it for pyrotechnics. Also, finding girls is too hard, so I'll stay with chemistry for a while. And if I want to really concentrate on dating, I'll have to ditch chemistry, reading, fishing, chess, and all the hobbies that I have and watch romance movies instead. Not a good way to spend my leisure time.
For some reason, I suspect that a 13 year old's interest in nitrates is not related to plating.

If you think getting nitrates is complex, just wait until you try to figure out the opposite gender.

I guess I'm not a good example but at 13 I had a lot more interest in chemistry than either pyro or girls. Come to think of it, at 61 that's still true.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 16:49

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
. I wrote what I ultimately need the nitric acid for (aqua regia gold plating) and I wrote I'm not using it for pyrotechnics. Also, finding girls is too hard, so I'll stay with chemistry for a while. And if I want to really concentrate on dating, I'll have to ditch chemistry, reading, fishing, chess, and all the hobbies that I have and watch romance movies instead. Not a good way to spend my leisure time.
For some reason, I suspect that a 13 year old's interest in nitrates is not related to plating.

If you think getting nitrates is complex, just wait until you try to figure out the opposite gender.

I guess I'm not a good example but at 13 I had a lot more interest in chemistry than either pyro or girls. Come to think of it, at 61 that's still true.

God, for the last time, I wrote that I'm not interested in explosives! Nor will my parents allow me to make explosives! Also, getting nitrates is not complex, but getting nitrates with virtually no starting material is. Sure, there is a lot of 13 year olds that either just want to blow stuff up, or not interested in chemistry at all, but I'm not one of them.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 16:51

I regret writing that I'm 13 in that post.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 16:53

I regret writing that I'm 13 in that post.
As if we couldn't have guessed.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 17:13

Now, can everyone just stop discriminating and treat me normally instead of like a know-nothing k3wl?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 17:24

Do you have any interest in small amounts of chlorate. If you have some bleach around you can synth a bit. A good oxidizer.

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 17:31

In a previous thread, I already have a very good method of synthesis of potassium chlorate, a few tens of grams for the occasional pyrotechnic fest. So I don't need potassium nitrate as oxidizer. And thank you for not going crazy about my age, I appreciate it.

[Edited on 23-1-2012 by weiming1998]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 19:04

Now, can everyone just stop discriminating and treat me normally instead of like a know-nothing k3wl?
People on this forum "normally" have the ingenuity to find the chemicals that they need. It ain't always easy. I'm sympathetic to your problems, but also a little concerned that you think you can't do chemistry without nitrating something.

I do fairly sophisticated chemistry, but it's not everyday that I need to nitrate something.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 19:55

If you people is concerned that I am trying to make a nitrate salt, then I won't make it and just preoccupy myself with something else instead. So you are saying I'm too lazy to find chemicals? I look everywhere for them. I even got stared at by a woman when I was looking for hydrogen peroxide in the hair section. But the problem is, chemicals simply aren't available to me as to some of you people, because of the regulations. I'll just use whatever's available at shops and whatever I can make.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 21:30

If you people is concerned that I am trying to make a nitrate salt, then I won't make it and just preoccupy myself with something else instead. So you are saying I'm too lazy to find chemicals? I look everywhere for them. I even got stared at by a woman when I was looking for hydrogen peroxide in the hair section. But the problem is, chemicals simply aren't available to me as to some of you people, because of the regulations. I'll just use whatever's available at shops and whatever I can make.
That is what i've ben trying to tell you. Do chemistry with the materials that are available to you.

Be patiient. You will find chemicals more to your liking as tme passes.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2012 at 22:00

Yes, in the future I might be able to find new chemicals. But I'll not dwell on it right now.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 02:27

Quote:

If you'd told us at the outset that you were 13 you'd have been given the 'kid gloves' treatment.
And that's not meant as sarcasm.
I sure wanted to blow shit up when I was your age!
When I'd hear the distant thump of blasting operations my heart would jump, and I often had the almost orgasmic pleasure of being onsite when gelignite was being used, sometimes in fairly large quantities, and was trusted enough to carry the boxes for the workers!
Sometimes I'd get the detonators, snuggled in their bed of cotton wool!
On one occasion, I pretended to trip, causing everyone to duck!
They couldn't seem to see the funny side!
Things were much more easy-going those days . . .
Of course, then, one could buy NaClO<sub>3</sub> in grocery shops!
Runaway paranoia is rampant now, but these are the times . . .

P
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 02:54

Quote:

If you'd told us at the outset that you were 13 you'd have been given the 'kid gloves' treatment.
And that's not meant as sarcasm.
I sure wanted to blow shit up when I was your age!
When I'd hear the distant thump of blasting operations my heart would jump, and I often had the almost orgasmic pleasure of being onsite when gelignite was being used, sometimes in fairly large quantities, and was trusted enough to carry the boxes for the workers!
Sometimes I'd get the detonators, snuggled in their bed of cotton wool!
On one occasion, I pretended to trip, causing everyone to duck!
They couldn't seem to see the funny side!
Things were much more easy-going those days . . .
Of course, then, one could buy NaClO<sub>3</sub> in grocery shops!
Runaway paranoia is rampant now, but these are the times . . .

P

I'm not really interested in explosive compounds right now. They are too dangerous and I am sensitive to loud noises, and 100 grams of something like acetone peroxide or dynamite makes a REALLY loud noise.

Also, what is a 'kid gloves" treatment?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top