National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 15:27

How do they go easy on me?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 16:06

What they mean is basically take your age, inexperience, and possible immaturity into consideration before openly discussing dangerous things, or giving you to much shit. I'm sure your smart, so I'm not going to pretend you couldn't look up how to make TCAP if you wanted to make kewl explosions for your friends, so me helping or not helping you get nitrate salts wouldn't really affect your safety. I know it's frustrating when you can't get a reagent you need. Just do what chemistry you can wirh what you can get now, and learn as much as possible. There is so much to learn. So many beautiful and interesting reactions. One day you will be resourceful enough to either buy or synth anything you need from OTC stuff. Keep your head up, and try to get out of the hell hole when your older.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 18:37

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
What they mean is basically take your age, inexperience, and possible immaturity into consideration before openly discussing dangerous things, or giving you to much shit. I'm sure your smart, so I'm not going to pretend you couldn't look up how to make TCAP if you wanted to make kewl explosions for your friends, so me helping or not helping you get nitrate salts wouldn't really affect your safety. I know it's frustrating when you can't get a reagent you need. Just do what chemistry you can wirh what you can get now, and learn as much as possible. There is so much to learn. So many beautiful and interesting reactions. One day you will be resourceful enough to either buy or synth anything you need from OTC stuff. Keep your head up, and try to get out of the hell hole when your older.

Thanks, those people just won't believe me when I say that I am not going to make explosives. Have they encountered young people on this forum that wants to make bombs before?

Also, my peers aren't into the "kewl" stuff. They're too interested in sports and Xbox to even consider chemistry, much less looking at explosions.

[Edited on 24-1-2012 by weiming1998]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 18:44

Of course they have. many youngsters (and older folks) are into energetics. The younger ones seem to maim themselves more often though. Usually with peroxides, chlorates, or something as simple as explosive decompression using a 2liter and foil with a reactive drain unclogger.

Just be safe and do the book and paper work before getting to much bench time with dangerous compounds.

BTW, the soil method does have merit. I have used it to success my self. It takes patience, but you'll really appreciate the bit of recrystalized nitrate.

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 19:05

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Of course they have. many youngsters (and older folks) are into energetics. The younger ones seem to maim themselves more often though. Usually with peroxides, chlorates, or something as simple as explosive decompression using a 2liter and foil with a reactive drain unclogger.

Just be safe and do the book and paper work before getting to much bench time with dangerous compounds.

BTW, the soil method does have merit. I have used it to success my self. It takes patience, but you'll really appreciate the bit of recrystalized nitrate.

I'm not that into energetics though but those people think that if you are 13 and does home chemistry, your number 1 goal must be explosives. Stereotype anyone? That's like saying all home chemists make drugs. Also, I have done a lot of reading about chemistry, first in a school book, then on the internet. Also, I am still hesitant to mess with dangerous compounds (like generating cyanide salt, even though I have got all the ingredients necessary. )

By the way, I filled a bucket with soil, put water in it, filtered it (took about an hour) and then put it in the sun to dry (I have got 2 litres and my beaker is only 500mls, plus it would be a waste of gas to dry on the stove.) The liquid is a brownish-red colour, even when it is filtered.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 19:09

Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  

I am very short on professional glassware. I don't have anything to distil with (you know the glass tube?) And I can't buy any, chemistry supply stores won't sell to individuals.

Also, I don't have a neon sign transformer. I'll be looking for one, but don't have one right now.

I can assure you, and i'm not being an asshole here but the price you are looking to pay for KNO3 though the methods you are talking about will end up being WAYYYYY more then good glassware.

In other words... Go find it. I would be willing to bet every chemical I have that you can go find NH3NO3 or KNO3 at a dirt cheep price so in all honesty this thread is relatively asinine.

@Entropy....

Dude if you are looking for KNO3 or damn near anything of the sorts for that matter just hit me up, we are not that far apart and I have been a label reader since I was a VERY young child. KNO3 is only around 5$ a pound more then likely within 20 miles of where you live. I will show you if needed. I got hardware store chemistry down to a science :D

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 19:24

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Quote: Originally posted by weiming1998  

I am very short on professional glassware. I don't have anything to distil with (you know the glass tube?) And I can't buy any, chemistry supply stores won't sell to individuals.

Also, I don't have a neon sign transformer. I'll be looking for one, but don't have one right now.

I can assure you, and i'm not being an asshole here but the price you are looking to pay for KNO3 though the methods you are talking about will end up being WAYYYYY more then good glassware.

In other words... Go find it. I would be willing to bet every chemical I have that you can go find NH3NO3 or KNO3 at a dirt cheep price so in all honesty this thread is relatively asinine.

@Entropy....

Dude if you are looking for KNO3 or damn near anything of the sorts for that matter just hit me up, we are not that far apart and I have been a label reader since I was a VERY young child. KNO3 is only around 5$ a pound more then likely within 20 miles of where you live. I will show you if needed. I got hardware store chemistry down to a science :D

I'll wait a few months and maybe my mum will import some glassware from China (not to sound spoiled though.) She's setting up a business there. But my family is not that rich right now though. Or maybe I will find a chemical supplier that will sell to individuals. This thread's purpose is not only for me to try and find a convenient way to make nitrates, but finding interesting ways to make some (for academic purposes) also.

By the way, I have noticed an increasing trend in glyphosates in weed killers and benzalkonium chloride in toilet cleaners. Both of them seems to be replacing every ingredient in weed killers/toilet cleaners. Is it because they are safe/non toxic to the environment?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 19:28

Ok fine, but I can assure you that you are wasting your time for extremely impure nitrates... However I will look for a reference I have somewhere for you(assuming it wasn't on my computer that crashed),

The reference speaks of how to make Nitrates using Peat moss, a divided electrochemical cell and electricity. It oxidizing the ammonia and materials in the peat moss to generate HNO3 and subsequently Nitrates.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 19:52

Thanks!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 20:05

Sedit is right about the soil method. The yields and the purity make it nothing more than a "history lesson." I only pointed you down that path because I thought it would be impressive for you to get some functioning oxidizer from manureal soil. Filtration and recrystallization are some very important techniques in all facets of chemistry, and I thought it would be a good learning experience for you, because it was for me.

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 20:52

Yes, I don't expect to generate much nitrates, but you are right, it would be a learning experience for me. By the way, when you are recrystallizing a solution, do you boil it down until precipates form, then turn off heat and wait, or evaporate most of the solution for crystals?
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 15:01

you evaporate some of the water and let it cool , crystals from saturation should form , filter keep the solid and heat the liquid again untill a significant volume of water is gone, let it cool ...etc

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-1-2012 at 16:46

Ok, thanks for teaching me!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top