Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Consensus on UGT brand glass?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 17:56
Consensus on UGT brand glass?

http://www.unitedglasstech.com/products.htm

After reading the review on Alchemy & laboy brand lab glass and then finding my Pyrex 500mL RB flask is etched( neither sand, nor detergent , nor organic solvents has removed that ring) I am torn. I need glass that can take a newbie to jointed glass( as well as the abuse associated with reagent preparation& purification) but at the same time not cost a much as a Tek 570( curve tracer for the non vacuum tube folk). Since you, the good folks here, have more experience I figured I'd ask about United Glass tech's reputation. What do you think about this company's glass quality?
My problem with the set I own now is simply that 19/22 glass isn't as popular here as 24/40( unless someone here knows where I can get 3 necked flasks higher than 500mL with straight necks that is..). Bear in mind I do this as a hobby right now...using what I can find and what I can synthesize for the most part.

I thank you for your time and your opinions.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 19:06

UGT is very professional and they don't buy and resell imported glass from india or china. I can't comment on their flasks, but I use a thermometer adapter from them and found it to be very well made. I take that this is typical of their products. They also offer repair services and custom work. I don't see what the issue with an etched flask is. A few of my flasks are etched and I still use them regularly. If soap and hot water, acid, base, acetone, or hexane won't take it off, it's not going to dissolve appreciably in any reaction mix.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 19:26

I have been buying from UGT for several years now and have had no problems. In fact, I was impressed with a 1000mL 3-neck RBF recently when I was cooling it with an ice-pack when quite hot. One time when I ordered from UGT they sent a Wilmad flask instead of the UGT brand, which I view as an up-grade. I will order from them again.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 21-1-2012 at 20:19

I buy regularly from United Glass Techonology and I have had no problems with the glassware itself.

I have had a problem with them sending me something different from what I ordered, for example a different flask size or joint size. Once when I returned a condenser because it was the wrong size, they sent the same condenser back to me again. At that point I just decided to keep it and order what I wanted from another supplier.

My experience has mostly been positive however, and the glass seems to be of good quality.

Go To Top