Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade Hydroflouric Acid Filter question.
mattbih
Harmless

Mood: cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 16:57
Homemade Hydroflouric Acid Filter question.

Hello people,

Could anyone suggest any suitable filtration materials / substances to use in a homemade filter specifically for use in a homemade hydroflouric acid fumehood?

I was intending on just getting activated carbon pellets and placing them in some polyethylene meshing inside some PE ducting but I read on the web page linked below that 'Straight carbon has a limited capacity for Hydrogen Fluoride. The use of appropriate specially impregnated carbon is recommended'.

http://www.airpurifiersandfilters.com/article.php?article_id...

Any idea what they mean when they say 'specially impregnated carbon is reccomended'?

I have spent nearly half a day trying to get the info off the web. I have looked through these forums but couldn't find anything so thought I'd ask the question. Any info with suggestions on where materials can be purchased would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 00:47

Why don't you place some pellets of sodium hydroxide inside the polyethylene meshing? That will effectively neutralize the hydrogen fluoride, but it will require replacements once in a while.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 12:12

There should be a special class of Darwin awards for people killed by things they didn't even take the trouble to spell correctly.

Sodium carbonate is less messy and cheaper.
mattbih
Harmless

Mood: cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 14:03

Thanks for the tips, ill order some asap. Youve really helped as I couldnt find any info at all on the web. And sorry for the spelling mistakes, im dyslexic.

Cheers

Matt
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top