Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On the synthesis and polymerisation of FluoroTriNitroethene.
Xakoro
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 16:56
On the synthesis and polymerisation of FluoroTriNitroethene.

Yeah. This is insane.
Anyway, my dear mad friend gave me this as a challenge. Sadly, I am not a year ahead of the class like him and can only grasp it is dangerous.
I submit to you to help me find a synthesis route and applications of polyfluorotrinitroethene.

[Edited on 22-2-2012 by Xakoro]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 17:04

I would not suggest that you try to make it. These types of compounds tend to be very toxic and volatile.

This specific compound you mention would no doubt have poor thermal stability, so not really a practical explosive.

Despite this probably not being something you should try to make, the chemistry to make it is still interesting and informative. here is another thread that discusses some related chemistry:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17797

for more information about why it would be "thermally unstable", see the eleventh post down in this thread, with the section "Geminal Nitro Groups":
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17012

Some quick thoughts:
To make fluorodinitroethane, one would probably start with fluorotetranitromethane, any of the isomers, and simply pull out an HNO2 from the molecule using concentrated base.
Ethylene reacts with NO2, in the absence of air, to form almost entirely 1,2-dinitroethane. The procedure used to make 1,2-dinitroethane (see in the other thread) could probably be used on this to make 1,1,2-trinitroethane. Hopefully you can figure out the rest by reading that [first] thread.

[Edited on 22-2-2012 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top