Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: supplementary work books
stereokemistri
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-2-2012 at 09:58
supplementary work books

Does anyone have any suggestions of books (in particular organic chemistry) that contains only work problems and other related items. Im not looking for a whole new textbook just a book that has lots of problems to do to continue practicing the material that Im currently learning.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 05:05

Staurt Warren does a workbook to accompany a couple of his books (as far as I'm aware, there may be more); "The disconnection approach" and "Strategy and control" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workbook-Organic-Synthesis-Disconnec... and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workbook-Organic-Synthesis-Strategy-... repectively). Theres also "The art of writing reasonable organic reaction mechanisms" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Reasonable-Organic-Reaction-...
Chemstudent
Harmless

Mood: Contemplative

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 16:27

I've used Schaum's 3000 worked problems in Chemistry for my Gen. Chem class this year. After working out numerous practice equations and problems I've become a wiz at solving any balance/titration/acid-base/etc etc....

They make a Schaum's problems in O-Chem which I plan to get on Amazon, even though I have the ebook from a torrent.

Anyways, it's a good enough workbook that I'm here recommending it to you. Take a look at it!

Shaum's O-Chem Intro.

Schaum's Solved Problems in O-Chem (I want to buy this!)

Schaum's 3k solved problems in Chemistry (one I've used for Gen Chem)

I've also used MIT's Opencourseware: Chem Lectures as well as YALE Opencourseware for their Chem. Much time this semester has gone towards studying these lectures and working problems in the Schaum's guide + my textbook hw. On top of that I attend all the supplemental instruction classes offered free. I came into Chem this semester knowing virtually nothing, and now I actually have had students asking me to tutor them or lead a study group. It's all practice practice practice, and eventually you somehow intuitively find yourself seeing and understanding the major concepts. Everyone in my class that has a D or lower (the class avg) whines about chem lacking any relevance to the real world they neither practice nor visualize a concept in motion. I feel like the Emperor (from SW) when I hear them cry before the prof to curve the tests, I just sit back in class and say out loud "Good, I feel your anger, let the hate flow through you. Use your aggressive nature foolish student strike the professor down and your path to your communications degree shall.... be... complete!". I said this once in class and one kid wanted to fight me :p I ended up tutoring him hehehe
doranobi
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 02:45
Plz recomend a good workbook for organic chem

Now i'm taking an organic chem class. Can you recommend a good workbook for me? Now i'm studying mostly from Clayden's book.Although it is a good book in my view,it provide too little number of the question to practice at the end of the chapter.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
17-4-2012 at 05:23

Go To Top