Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gomco vacuum pump for lab use?
inspector071
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 23:45
Gomco vacuum pump for lab use?

I recently acquired a Gomco 400 vacuum pump, the medical kind used often for stomach pumping. It has (fortunately) not been used for stomach pumping and still works just fine. Having only used a central vacuum system before in the lab, I don't know if this pump will work for personal lab use. I plan to do some vacuum filtration, distillation, and dessication. The specs for this model say it has a 1/20 hp motor and a vacuum range of 0-20 in. Hg. I don't know exactly what the flow rate is for the pump, but I imagine it is in the range of 20-30 lpm. Will this pump be sufficient for filtering, distilling, and dessicating?
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 04:18

~20" Hg is about what water aspirators pull, which is typically fine for filtration. As for distillation it entirely depends on the solvent. Many common solvents are better to distill at lower vacuums <20" Hg so the condenser water doesn't need to be cold.

Not sure what vacuum works for dessication. The deepest vacuum is obviously better but something around 20"Hg will probably work too, albeit slower.
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Pruned
4-3-2012 at 23:23

Go To Top