Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transmethylation of ammonium methyl sulphate to methylammonium sulphate
cal
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:02
Transmethylation of ammonium methyl sulphate to methylammonium sulphate

Quote:
J. Chem. Soc. 105, 2762-2769 (1914)
In a recent communication (this vol., p. 925) containing an account of the study of the decomposition by heat of the methyl sulphates of certain carbamides, it was pointed out that ammonium methyl sulphate can evidently undergo isomeric change when heated, in accordance with the equation:
NH4-MeSO4 = NH3Me-HSO4

I find this reaction to produce Methylamine HCL the simplest of all reactions I have tried. It is a straight forward reaction between Methanol and Sulfuric Acid then Treated with Ammoniu:mad:m Carbonate to produce Ammonium Methyl Sulfate, which upon heating gives Methylamine Gas and Sulfuric Acid. I do not believe it can be any simpler.:cool::cool:

<sub>Edit by Nicodem:
The several pages of the copy-pasta and all its unreadable formating and OCR errors were removed. Those interested should check the article (DOI: 10.1039/CT9140502762; the full text will soon be in the References anyway).
Cal, your next autistic copy-pasta thread will be sent to Detritus. Either do things properly or just don't waste our time. This forum is not a waste bin.</sub>

[Edited on 5/3/2012 by Nicodem]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:10

Copy pasta? Perhaps uploading a short summary or the abstract along with a PDF or DOI link would be easier to read.

<a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=19098#pid239616">[reference requested]</a>

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:33

This reaction has been talked about in the methylamine thread. When I am at my computer I will provide a link.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:50

Sorry I've never salted anything out.

Would bubbling the produced gas in Conc. HCl give you the respective salt?

ʃ Ψ*Ψ
Keepin' it real.
Check out my new collaborated site: MNMLimpact.com
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:25

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  
Sorry I've never salted anything out.

Would bubbling the produced gas in Conc. HCl give you the respective salt?

Yes it does.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 10:02

We've already discussed this. Please use a search beforehand. Furthermore, the product is methylammonium bisulfate. I have tried this myself and mostly got a lot of gas loss (reportedly ethylene byproduct. It didn't reek enough to be methylamine, though a small amount was undoubtedly present ). Yield is probably poor at best.

Refluxing sulfamic acid in methanol gives ammonium methylsulfate in a much more straightforward manner.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem

Go To Top