Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sodium sulphide
RU_KLO
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2023 at 05:05

If I would like to build an aspirator/scrubber, for H2S.

as simple as a Pc 10 cms fan + funnel + hose + washing bottle.

Like I said it will work with very small quantities, but If the smell could also be reduced, the better.

What should the washing bottle contain? (I used H2O2 to neutralize some experiments with my impure Na2S solution)

If H2O2 is the best method, which concentration?

(please note that other gases from the reaction could be sucked into the washing bottle that could react with H2O2 - I do not know this, is a thinking.)

Go SAFE, because stupidity and bad Luck exist.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-4-2023 at 00:48

You still need a general ventilation for the case something goes wrong.
I would recommend FEP / glass as a piping. Other matherials could be easily penetrated by H2S.
Use a normal vacuum greese for all joints. Fix everything, the good fixing is essential for gas experiments. Invest in steel rods frame and a good set of clamps before investing in ventilation.
Don't relay on scrubber much. You can use NaOH + NaOCl as a first stage and optionally a solution of metal salt CuSO4 , FeSO4 as the second. Fe(III) salts are even better - they combine oxidation effect with precipitation. But in any case attach a long glass of FEP pipe with one side being outside your lab to dispose the unabsorbed excess.
To disassemble the apparatus use a water aspirator (on low suction) to suck the rest of H2S out of your apparatus through scrabbers which will mix and dispose any unabsorbed gas with water.

[Edited on 6-4-2023 by teodor]

As a method of H2S generation without FeS one can try boiling NaOH with S. It should form polysulfide solution first (the red one) but then you start to distill water and it should come with H2S. It is not so convenient when you need H2S for analytical purposes but for some experiments with H2S it could be ok.

[Edited on 6-4-2023 by teodor]
bluamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2023 at 14:31

You can try boil sodium hydroxide solution with sulfur until this latter completely dissolves, and then mix it with an aqueous solutions of aluminium chloride, that will release hydrogen sulphide so you must bubble it through an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top